Hot Topics

a Slamming front door question

bumpkin 13:30 16 Mar 2014

Hi all, a bit of an odd question for here but little else going on and maybe somebody can help.

I have a very heavy oak front door which nobody other than myself seems to be able to close without it slamming. I remember seeing many years back a small damper like device that engages in the last few inches of closing to prevent this. I have searched for such an item to no avail. As I am sitting here on the PC bang keeps going the door with people going in and out as it sunny. So I thought why not ask.

bumpkin 17:39 16 Mar 2014

Thanks spuds, just had a look at your link and there is nothing there suitable. I do not require a door closer but a damper the two things are different. Thanks for trying but if you look at Ex plorer link 2.42pm this shows a picture of the item I require.

bumpkin 19:04 16 Mar 2014

Looks like I will have to dish out about £50 then or take a screwdriver with me next time I go to Outpatients :-) Will leave the thread open a bit longer in the hope that someone can give me a cheaper source before I slam it.

Aitchbee 22:30 16 Mar 2014

bumpkin, glad you got it sorted. BTW, The communal main-door press-button-entry system, where I live, [ FYI 6 flats involved ...the ground-floor flats don't count] is to be investigated tomorrow morning by the local council.[I've got to stump up a portion of the bill if any work is done.]

As an unknown, 'third party' has reported 'the door fault', I'll have to set my alarm-clock for an early rise, to see what actual repairs are being done to rectify the main door problem.

[Same problem happened a year ago, I then got wrongly billed for work on another neighbour's interior wiring].

bumpkin ... your house will be oh so quiet now!

PS. When the back-door is ajar [usually when I'm potttering about at the rear ... if you will pardon that expression] a slight gust of wind will slam the back-door shut this usually happens when the front-door and the back-door are simultaneously ajar, so I might mention this to the chap coming tomorrow.

bumpkin 22:55 16 Mar 2014

"the ground-floor flats don't count" they presumably do not use the door then'

"I'll have to set my alarm-clock for an early rise" expect them about 2pm in that case.

" I then got wrongly billed for work on another neighbour's interior wiring" Sounds about normal to me.

Aitchbee 12:47 17 Mar 2014

bumpkin, after extensive testing this morning, the diagnosis was "... faulty main panel and complete rewire to each flat. "

Thankfully, the job will get done pronto as there are many elderly and frail residents, that get routine daily and evening visits from various carers ... although, I am expecting a bill of around £100 for this repair ... ouch!!

hssutton 20:05 17 Mar 2014

Bumpkin. Sorry for not coming back to you, but I though Spuds had put you right. Here's the link for screwfix.

Soft door closer

bumpkin 21:06 17 Mar 2014

Hssutton, thanks for coming back and the link. Unfortunately the ones that you have shown me are for light duty purposes, I have them on my kitchen cupboards. They are not man enough for a very heavy oak door. Having looked everywhere the only suitable device seems to be that on Ex Plorer link 2.42 Sun. A bit expensive for my liking but that is all I can find. I do appreciate your attempts to help and those of others.

namtas 11:01 18 Mar 2014

Fire door closures, but would meet you needs

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei