Hot Topics

This site uses cookies to

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:49 25 May 2018
Answered

Anyone else have problems with PCA cookie policy popping up everytime you change page?

Clicking got it doesn't stop it and manage preferences is the same even if you switch off everything in there and no you can't have access to my data and usage.

244 vendors to switch off no wonder the site is slow sometimes.

Come on PCA sort it out ;0)

martd7 13:31 26 May 2018

Not come up once for me today but yesterday was on every page

lotvic 13:38 26 May 2018

It's only on smartphone that I get repeated popup on every page. On pc it was only once and hasn't reappeared since (so far).

Quiller47 13:47 26 May 2018

Just had it the once on smart phone, then OK.

Forum Editor 13:57 26 May 2018

Apologies to all those affected by this.

I have passed this information to our development team. They'll fix the problem, but it's likely to be after the Bank holiday before it happens.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:19 26 May 2018

Thanks FE

simonjary 08:08 27 May 2018

Thanks for the feedback, and apologies to those seeing the Privacy banner more than once.

As it's at browser level you will see it each time you use a new browser for the first time, so once on Chrome and then once on phone, etc. And if you clean your cache, of course, we won't know your preference, and have to ask you all over again.

Normally we don't set new "features" live on a Friday, especially before a long weekend, but EU rules say we had to. We did test beforehand but new Google demands at the last minute changed a lot of things, and going live is the only way to truly test a system.

About the 200+ vendors. This is the IAB (Interactive Advertising Bureau) GDPR-compliant list and not a list of cookie droppers on our (or other) sites. We have to list all whether we use them or not.

While it is a pain, rest assured that Tech Advisor is a lot more GDPR compliant than most other publishers, who don't give readers the ability to turn off individual or all vendors.

Next week we will continue to iron out the errors and make the experience as un-annoying as we can while obeying EU laws.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 27 May 2018

Not the only site with problems since the May 25th deadline - thanks for the info hope it'sorted soon, did seem silly to have to use Adblock to stop a cookie message.

Forum Editor 15:17 27 May 2018

The new legislation has resulted in all kinds of confusion, and many sites are having problems.

It should all start to settle next week.

simonjary 06:48 28 May 2018

Safari definitely needs fixing. For me at least, the other browsers are working.

Because of the (many would say cynical) last-minute Google changes on who controls the data, the solution is fairly new and untested, but we will continue to refine it - and make it less annoying!

Seen any better privacy units on other publisher sites?

Quickbeam 08:23 28 May 2018

This whole new general privacy thing seems to have come upon the vast majority out of the blue compared to other legislation.

Is that because in general we weren't given as much public warning as other new legislation that will affect us all gets rolled out, or because in general it didn't interest us too much.

Compared to the Millennium Y2K where even abacus users at bus stops were aware of it, the first I knew of it was the multitude of emails and the thread on here!

The FE did point out that there was an SJ post covering it, but the thread headline suggested to me that it was just a standard site maintenance outage, so I didn't bother opening it...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €