Simes as good an idea as any

Cymro. 12:46 25 Jan 2018

BBC link

When the wife and I used to travel to the daughters at her then home over a 150 miles away we always used to fill up in advance with fresh tap water in plastic bottles. Seemed the obvious thing to do. I can't see why anyone would want to do otherwise.

Cymro. 12:49 25 Jan 2018

Correction to my spelling for simes read seems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:14 25 Jan 2018

If the countries "some of got the best drinking water in the world", why do so many people pay through the nose to buy bottled water?

The bottled water industry isn't going to like this initiative.

Aitchbee 14:03 25 Jan 2018

I can't see this initiative catching on as many bottled-water consumers will have to make a deliberate effort to change their habits and to stop paying silly-money for over-hyped mass produced drinking-water.

I can already get a free cup of tea or coffee at the bookies or even fill up my container/bottle from cold water tap in shops' public toilet.

Now, if only I could fill up my thermos flask with free boiling water to make my own cuppa soup, etc. whilst out-and-about ... that would be much appreciated.

oresome 14:56 25 Jan 2018

"fill up my container/bottle from cold water tap in shops' public toilet."

Ergh! I wouldn't advise that.

Irrespective of the public toilet issue, not all cold water from taps is suitable for drinking. Cold water in commercial properties often isn't direct from the mains supply but from a storage tank that can pose health risks.

bumpkin 16:38 25 Jan 2018

Good point oresome, I had to do some work on the staff toilets at a large grammar school. Many teachers were happily drinking water from a tap over a basin until I told them it was fed from a tank on the roof. Having spoken to the caretaker we screwed a permanent sign on the wall just above it stating that it was not drinking water.

BRYNIT 17:17 25 Jan 2018

"Shops, cafes and businesses will offer free water refill points in every major city and town in England by 2021"

Many years ago there used to be drinking fountains but were removed as they were unhygienic and not safe to drink from. With these free water refill points who is going to make sure they are clean and safe to use. Due to the low standards of hygiene I've seen over the years I personally wouldn't refill a water bottle from a place I didn't know. If and when this happens we would still have the problem with plastic bottles from all the well known brands of soft drinks as I doubt people would stop buying them and just us water.

wee eddie 02:30 26 Jan 2018

A silver plated straw is the answer. Maybe EPNS, but it has a slight taste

Toneman 09:06 26 Jan 2018

Think you can check if cold water is from the mains by trying to stop it with your hand, tank water is less pressurised. If it sprays all over you, it's mains water...

bumpkin 23:00 26 Jan 2018

Think you can check if cold water is from the mains by trying to stop it with your hand, tank water is less pressurised. If it sprays all over you, it's mains water...

Yes indeed you can but most people it seems if they see a cold water tap they assume it is potable (drinking water).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

50 Cent is Iron Man in these comic book cover reissues of hip hop classics

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Mac : comment forcer la fermeture d’une application ?