This is a sign of the times

Forum Editor 08:27 30 Nov 2016

It was inevitable, I suppose.

oresome 13:49 30 Nov 2016

The introduction of plain packaging will no doubt impact sales growth of conventional cigarettes as brand advertising becomes much less effective.

I still see a surprising number of young people, particularly women, smoking unfortunately, despite all the warnings.

Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned about consumption as I derive income from tobacco shares.

A much safer alternative that was acceptable to the smoker would be a significant breakthrough to the benefit of both the user and the investor.

Forum Editor 14:16 30 Nov 2016

oresome

"I still see a surprising number of young people, particularly women, smoking unfortunately, despite all the warnings."

In 2014, 18% of secondary school pupils reported they had tried smoking at least once. That is the lowest figure since records began. Somewhat surprisingly, girls are more likely to be smokers, as you've noticed.

In the same year, 19% of adults in Great Britain smoked regularly, down from a peak of 46% in 1974. In 2015, the average consumption among smokers was 11 cigarettes a day – the lowest daily cigarette consumption since smoking statistics were first collected.

Interestingly, there were 475 thousand hospital admissions for conditions estimated to be attributable to smoking in 2014/15.That is up from 452 thousand in 2004/05.
Despite that increase, deaths from causes attributable to smoking continue to fall.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 6T McLaren edition costs more and charges faster

Pharrell's favourite new illustrator Daniel Egneus on making dreamlike fashion art

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Windows 10 : comment désactiver Cortana ?