Should we do the same in the UK?

Cymro. 11:12 20 May 2017

BBC News

Italy makes 12 vaccinations compulsory for children Personally I think this a very good idea and something we should be doing in the UK. But I expect replies from the "my children I decide what to do about their vaccinations etc"

Belatucadrus 11:43 20 May 2017

It would definitely not meet universal approval, there are still people vehemently against the MMR vaccine despite the fact that Andrew Wakefield has been struck off and his research found to be fraudulent.

Forum Editor 15:56 20 May 2017

There is a great deal to be said for a policy that protects the maximum number of children against the maximum number of diseases. Compulsion would not have been considered necessary, had not the number of measles cases in Italy for the first four months of 2017 exceeded the total for the whole of 2016.

Parents were listening to rumours and quackery, instead of scientific facts.

In the UK, there were fives times as many ceases of measles in 2016 as there were in 2015. Apart from Italy, there has been a serious outbreak in Romania.

The BMA has reported on the subject of compulsory vaccination in the UK, and it is not in favour of it. The report said: "The doctor-patient relationship is based on trust, choice and openness and we think introducing compulsory vaccination may be harmful to this."

Personally, I think that's a misguided view.

Aitchbee 21:12 20 May 2017

there has been a serious outbreak in Romania.

For the past ten years Glasgow has been a very popular destination for many hundreds of Romanian immigrant families so making it compulsory in Scotland is a no-brainer. That is my opinion.

Forum Editor 22:30 20 May 2017

Aitchbee

What have Romanian immigrants got to do with making vaccinations compulsory in Glasgow?

Measles has been on the increase all over the UK, and in other European countries because fewer parents are having their children vaccinated.

Aitchbee 22:40 20 May 2017

FE, it was your statement that triggered my response. The connection is obvious.

Aitchbee 22:54 20 May 2017

I live on the southside of Glasgow [near govanhill] and interact daily with Romanian people. I think their children should be protected. Is that not a reasonably humane view to take?

Aitchbee 23:01 20 May 2017

FE, I said " compulsory in Scotland " - so please don't misquote me.

rdave13 23:20 20 May 2017

Aitchbee - unlike you to be so pedantic. Hope you're well.

Aitchbee 23:30 20 May 2017

Thanks rdave13 for your concerns, I only speak up when I know that I am right.

Forum Editor 13:35 21 May 2017

Aitchbee

Stop trying to wriggle. You know very well that your first post clearly inferred that the influx of Romanian people was in some way connected with the increase in cases of measles:-

"For the past ten years Glasgow has been a very popular destination for many hundreds of Romanian immigrant families so making it compulsory in Scotland is a no-brainer"

Trying to pretend that you meant something else simply makes it worse. Worse still when you respond to someone else saying "I only speak up when I know that I am right."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Gamescom 2018: Announcements, livestreams and exhibitors

Coca-Cola goes into the red with a brand new redesign

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

Comment réinitialiser un iPhone ?