Shingles, avoid if at all possible.

flycatcher1 10:54 21 Jun 2015
Answered

Although Shingles does not compare with the medical problems I know that some Forum members have it is not very pleasant. My Wife caught it last November and I followed in March with the complaint over the right hand side of my head completely ruining my boyish good looks.It still affects me even as I write.

To those oldies, but under 80 years old, you will find that an injection is available on the NHS which provides good protection. I believe that they started at 79 and hope to work down. Furthermore if you do think that you may have it act fast and get some anti-virals which reduce the seriousness of the problem.

Ungus 13:26 21 Jun 2015
Answer

Totally agree had it on one side of my face a couple of years back. I have had a lot of broken bones in my life and I have to say shingles was unrelenting pain.

wee eddie 16:57 21 Jun 2015

If your Parents were on the ball, they made sure that we were exposed to the Chicken Pox virus, little knowing that the Shingles Virus came with it.

I had it, around my chest (The doctor called it 'my trunk'), bought on by high stress levels. That was the year of the Foot & Mouth, as my business nearly folded for lack of Tourists. Fun, it was not.

BT 08:05 22 Jun 2015

I second the advice about getting anti-virals quickly, the sooner the better to reduce the impact and duration of shingles.

I had shingles about 5 years ago, around my waist and down my left thigh. The Doctor gave me the Anti RetroVirals and pain killers which did the trick. The Anti Retrovirals have to be prescribed very early on to be effective so if you suspect that you may have contracted Shingles see the Doc straight away. The drug has be to taken on a very strict timetable to be effective. If it says every 4 hours you must stick to this even if it means getting up in the middle of the night.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

The Berlin Wall inspires a new font for the 30th anniversary of its fall

AirPods Pro review

Test : la HolyHigh, une montre connectée GPS orientée sport