Seems to be a Dearth of Tradespeople.

morddwyd 09:39 15 Jan 2016

My local council subscribes to a "trusted trader" scheme, and wanting a small repair to my cooker I accessed the scene.

I was stunned to discover that no trader can be trusted to carry out "Domestic Appliance Repair" within 100 miles!

Since this includes Dundee, Perth, the whole of Edinburgh and most of Greater Glasgow it doesn't say much for the integrity of local traders .

In fact, of course, it's a commercial operation and probably costs, but should the council be doing such a disservice to local businesses?

I wonder what the call out rate is from Carlisle or Newcastle?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:47 15 Jan 2016

carry out "Domestic Appliance Repair"

its a throw away society - nobody fixes this sort of thing anymore its just "not done".

The bulbs blown in the oven - on the net to ao.com and its delieverd next day - who neeeds a repair :0)

bumpkin 11:07 15 Jan 2016

its a throw away society - nobody fixes this sort of thing anymore its just "not done"

I agree to an extent with cheaper small appliances but when it comes to ovens or washing machines which cost several hundred pounds it is a different matter.

RV510 11:25 15 Jan 2016

If anyone has the sense to pay a little extra in buying an extended warrantee when purchasing a new appliance and then renewing it annually you will never pay for repairs and could save you hundreds of pounds in the long term, the only thing to remember is that it sometimes does not cover call-out fees, which often does not apply as the Company that supplies the warrantee also supply the repair engineers. You get what you pay for when buying appliances and cheapest is not always the best.

lotvic 11:46 15 Jan 2016

MSE advice is: "Many shops try to scare customers into buying costly warranties for all electrical and white goods - most are a complete waste of money" click here

TAFKAF 14:00 15 Jan 2016

We get a local list of trusted traders mostly free in the local papers. But the day of real tradespersons has long sadly gone!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:52 15 Jan 2016

bumpkin - I was joking :0)

john bunyan 16:20 15 Jan 2016

I have a Miele washing machine bought wit a "free" 10 year parts and labour guarantee that ran out at he end of June last year. Towards the end of June the light in the seal went out,so I bought a £3 bulb - but , although the bulb was ok it did not work. I telephoned Miele in the first day or 2 of July to explain the issue and said that the actual fault occurred in the warranty period - their engineer cam - fixed a broken wire, but then I got a bill for £120! After much haggling they relented, (as the repair took place in July) but I would have been really cross to pay £120 for a £3 light bulb ! (Of course I could have used the machine with no light, but I am just saying how expensive call outs can be)

oresome 17:23 17 Jan 2016

I would guess it's very difficult making a living repairing domestic appliances other than as a dedicated manufacturers agent who can carry all the spares needed and knows all the likely faults.

Faced with a multitude of makes and models of appliances, the fault has first to be diagnosed, then the parts sourced and then a return visit made to complete the repair. All at a price that is acceptable to the customer.

I often repair items within the family circle and it's certainly easier to source items now we have the internet, but if I were to charge for my labour and travel time on top, few repairs would be cost effective.

bumpkin 19:10 17 Jan 2016

oresome, you have some very valid points. I use a local washing m/c guy. £25 for the call out but no charge if he can't fix it that day. He had to order parts and came back 2 days later with a "new" control unit. The bill was £120 with a receipt and guarantee. When one considers 2 trips plus the part with the vat included that does not seem unreasonable. Hotpoint wanted £120 to come and look at it and only if I paid for a 3 yr warranty up front.

LastChip 19:35 17 Jan 2016

I suppose it depends on the initial cost of the appliance. Personally, I've never gone for extended warranties, considering them a waste of money.

I work on the assumption that most electrical goods if they're going to go wrong, it will normally be in the first three months of ownership and hence covered by their manufacturers warranty.

Practically everything I've ever bought has lasted 8-10 years, so all those warranties would have paid for a new machine.

When they finally bite the bullet, it's probable something else within the machine is already well on it's way out, so I throw them away and get a new one.

I find it's simple, cost effective and automatically updates you to the latest wonders of modern design and engineering.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 30 Pro Review: Hands-on

Fred Deakin on creating the artwork for his sci-fi rock opera The Lasters

Best iOS 13 features: What does iOS 13 do

Les meilleures enceintes connectées avec écran tactile (2019)