Security concerns - various

BT 18:02 04 May 2018
Answered

I got a letter in the post yesterday addressed to a name I didn't recognise, at my address. The letter was from a Specsavers outlet in London (I live in Norwich) telling Mr XXX that it was time for his eye test. The address was completely correct including the postcode. I have only ever used Specsavers once at least 14 years ago so how my address has been linked to the other person in London I don't know. I phoned Specsavers but they could offer no explanation.

My second concern is about Credit Cards. I received two new Credit Cards today from Tesco Bank. The letter to which they were attached had my CC Number printed on the top with the middle 8 numbers replaced with X's, which seems somewhat pointless with the cards stuck to the paper directly below, with the message "You can begin using your pre activated cards immediately". The only hint of security is that I need to use the cards for a PIN transaction so that "We know that you have the Cards" before I can use the contactless feature.

rdave13 09:06 05 May 2018

As for the CCs I would contact Tesco Bank, in the link, if you scroll down, there is a number for Lost or stolen card, or suspected fraud.

BT 09:18 05 May 2018

rdave13

I'm not saying there was any Fraud involved just that sending Pre activated cards through the post seems so open to abuse. With other cards I've always had to call a number to activate them. Having to activate the Contactless function obviously means that the PIN has to be known but otherwise anyone could use the card straight out of the envelope, Online for instance.

rdave13 18:02 05 May 2018

Sorry for late reply - but Tesco issuing two CCs at the same time is a bad error so I would still contact them.

Forum Editor 22:59 05 May 2018

"Having to activate the Contactless function obviously means that the PIN has to be known but otherwise anyone could use the card straight out of the envelope, Online for instance."

But they couldn't, could they? The cards may be pre-activated, but unless your PIN is used for the first transaction, the cards will not work - nobody, not even you, could possibly use them for an online transaction or any other kind of transaction without knowing that PIN.

rdave13 00:21 06 May 2018

Forum Editor

Bit suspicious in to what BT's snail mails deliveries amount to don't you think?

New type of scam possibly? Unless Tesco admits sending dual CC agreements via Postal service in error then we have to wait BT's reply.

BRYNIT 07:32 06 May 2018

I think you will find that most if not all CC are pre activated if it's to replace an out of date one, you do however have to confirm you have received this card either by phoning, logging onto your online account or put it into an cash machine with your correct pin number you cannot use it in any shop before doing this.

Quickbeam 07:46 06 May 2018

Don't you use the extra security steps available. Mine are visa debit cards and have the Verified by Visa step linked to them if I use them somewhere new or for a larger than normal spend.

BT 08:52 06 May 2018

..you do however have to confirm you have received this card either by phoning, logging onto your online account or put it into an cash machine with your correct pin number you cannot use it in any shop before doing this.

According to the paperwork with the cards they are ready to use EXCEPT for Contactless transactions where they must be used for a PIN transaction or ATM transaction, which I think is standard practice for all Credit and Debit cards. My point is that I DIDN'T have to phone or do anything else to activate them as I have done previously

..nobody, not even you, could possibly use them for an online transaction or any other kind of transaction without knowing that PIN.

How often is it necessary to use the PIN online? I don't think I ever have. It is often necessary to use the Security number on the back and even this is not always the case. I'm most likely to use the new cards for my online Grocery shopping before any other transactions, but perhaps Tesco trust me in that instance.

Unless Tesco admits sending dual CC agreements via Postal service in error

Two Cards in one envelope is not unusual. One card for me and one for the Boss. All the Card companies do it.

..have the Verified by Visa step linked to them

Of course they do, and the Mastercard equivalent, but this is at the instigation of the merchants normally. Not all online dealers use this service.

geoff96 09:28 06 May 2018

"My point is that I DIDN'T have to phone or do anything else to activate them as I have done previously"

That has been the way way with my and my wife's cards for quite awhile. When the new card is first used the old card is rendered inactive. We just chop the old cards to pieces.

BT 09:41 06 May 2018

When the new card is first used the old card is rendered inactive. We just chop the old cards to pieces.

Quite. There is quite an overlap on them timewise. I'm sure they could be sent out before they become valid, for security reasons. I'm sure they were in days gone by. The new ones were actually predated to the beginning of April whereas the old ones expire at the end of May.

Our old ones are of course thoroughly destroyed into myriad bits.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

What to do if you're affected by the Intel Foreshadow flaw

How To Master The Curvature Pen Tool

Beats Studio 3 Wireless review

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs