Hot Topics

Scotland's Education System seems to be failing

wee eddie 13:15 23 Apr 2020

I have just come back from my daily walk.

Along the way I met a curling friend and she drew my attention to one of the Rainbows in a window. Many windows and driveways have them.

The colours were in the wrong order.

Either the Author was very unobservant or had not been taught at school

Dunk 05:50 25 Apr 2020

wee eddie never misses a chance to 'knock' his own Nation, even on the most specious of grounds.

One child I know (5yrs) was just allowed to 'express' himself and put whatever colours he thought looked nice in his 'rainbow' outline. He was happy, parents put it in the window, passing people waved and smiled at him, many thumbs-up signs given. Result - every body happy ( except, of course, wee eddie, who doubtless would have been hammering on the door demanding the boy be re-educated!!). Sheesh!!

wee eddie 07:58 25 Apr 2020

Dunk, your chip is showing. Obviously, I can only comment on my own town, I am unable to do a comparative test in, say Bolton or Maldon.

I had hoped that others would cast their eyes locally, while walking around their town and respond. Which would give us an idea of the observational powers of children and adults throughout the UK.

Forum Editor 18:06 27 Apr 2020

Dunk

How would it be if I responded to your post, saying: 'Dunk never misses the chance to make a spiteful comment about another forum user. Sheesh!!' You might think me a tad rude, and you would be right.

By the way, since when did knocking your own nation become unacceptable - if you think something's wrong, you're entitled to say so, surely?

JamesM 18:25 27 Apr 2020

We have come a long way from the aye been & no success like failure culture that dominated Scottish life. Closing the attainment gap, improving outcomes and getting it right for every child by putting health and wellbeing at the heart of the curriculum is happening where a whole school nurturing approach has been embraced. This ethos has created a new generation. They believe in themselves and are more politically engaged. It’s the barriers to implementation of CfE we need to identify. Where there’s a will there’s a way.

wee eddie 20:01 27 Apr 2020

Unfortunately, they're not getting the exam results

Forum Editor 12:29 28 Apr 2020

"...getting it right for every child by putting health and wellbeing at the heart of the curriculum is happening where a whole school nurturing approach has been embraced. This ethos has created a new generation. They believe in themselves and are more politically engaged".

And there was me, thinking that a school's main priority should be the provision of a good education. I'm all for happy, well-balanced children but surely it is up to parents to step up where that's concerned? A happy, politically engaged child who lacks a decent education is being short-changed - high-flown aspirational talk about a whole school nurturing approach butters no parsnips in the job market.

morddwyd 09:51 09 May 2020

It's surely the thought that counts?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €