Hot Topics

Safety warning of fire risk for some tumble driers

TopCat® 22:18 23 Nov 2015
Answered

Just an 'heads up' for members that may have one of the machines listed at: here TC.

Brumas 23:08 23 Nov 2015

TopCat®

I know this is not responding to your thread but I thought it might be of some help in choosing a replacement dryer should the worst happen- sorry to hijack your thread!

Our old Hotpoint spin dryer finally gave up the ghost, after 15/20 years?, sterling service. As we have a service plan with British Gas we asked the service engineer who came out what would be the best and most reliable replacement and he recommended White Knight as they are Manufactured in the UK and the build quality was good and the machines reliable. That was good enough for me, so we got one and are very pleased with it.

Forum Editor 07:40 24 Nov 2015

Thanks TC. You scooped the BBC, which is now running the story.

Aitchbee 08:56 24 Nov 2015

My local laundrette was extremely busy on sunday - possibly as a consequence of the safety warning. I expect it will be the same story, up-and-down-the-land!

morddwyd 09:57 24 Nov 2015

Both "Which" and "Watchdog " have been running such stories every so often for some years.

For at least ten years fire safety officers have advised against running tumble driers and dishwashers unattended.

spuds 11:09 24 Nov 2015

We recently purchased a couple of those 'winter' bed warmer fitted sheet covers, that go over the mattress, and as we have done many times in the past, we washed before use.

Taking them from the dryer, we noticed that part of the skirt material had melted, this as never happened before. Obviously the temperature might have been set to high on this occasion, a temperature that we have used many times in the past, so perhaps the warning by Topcat is well founded.

oresome 14:58 24 Nov 2015

I was reading a letter in the paper this morning from an ex-employee of the White Knight manufacturer.

The factory in Halifax has had a number of owners over the years, but at any one time made tumble dryer machines under many different brand names all using the same internal components.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:59 24 Nov 2015

A simple mater of defluffing occasionally (routine maintenance), doesn't anyone read the manual?

spuds 10:34 25 Nov 2015
Answer

"but at any one time made tumble dryer machines under many different brand names all using the same internal components."

This could possibly be said about fridge/freezers, and some washing machines, where various components might fit different branded machines!.

morddwyd 11:06 25 Nov 2015

"This could possibly be said about fridge/freezers, and some washing machines, ............"

............. televisions, motorcars, computers, tablets, phones etc.

spuds 11:16 25 Nov 2015

Very true.

I recall the days of many re-badged computer's and associated items, and people thinking that it was something new and/or possibly bespoked ;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs