Sad times: I was chatting to my Veg man

wee eddie 21:10 01 Aug 2017
Answered

Sad times: I was chatting to my Veg man today as I tried to decide whether I would buy Greengages or Victoria plums. I settled for the Greengages

Casually, I asked him whether he had any Gooseberries left.

He apologised and, in passing, said that I was the only one that had bought them and also the Greengages. He said that no one, locally, appeared to know what either fruit were.

bumpkin 21:31 01 Aug 2017

Ho ripe plums or big melons? or meat and 2 veg.

Aitchbee 22:20 01 Aug 2017

Off subject slightly, but I've just found out that the 'secret' of guaranteed bigger crops of chilli peppers, it is recommended to prune pepper plants quite severely when they are still quite small, ie. get rid of ALL of the top-growth to encourage a bushier plant; seen it on Youtube yesterday.

I bought some Padron Peppers last week to try them out ... not very hot ;o[

Forum Editor 22:28 01 Aug 2017

Greengages - my favourite. We had a tree in the garden when I was knee high to a hard drive.

wee eddie 22:38 01 Aug 2017

greengages are in season now and for the next 2 weeks only ~ well just about that long.

We had a Mirabelle tree in the garden. Not much eating in them but the first bite gave the most exquisite flavour.

morddwyd 08:08 02 Aug 2017

Always buy greengages whenever I see them, but that is less and less.

I saw none last year and so far have not seen any this year, and I haven't seen dessert gooseberries for at least five years.

I don't know why but I find the modern Victoria plum has a very tough and bitter skin.

wee eddie 10:31 02 Aug 2017

morddwyd, that's sad. In my experience Victorias are sweet as they come. Could it have been Opals that you got

oresome 10:43 02 Aug 2017
Answer

The death of the British gooseberry is nigh.

click here

Old Deuteronomy 11:00 02 Aug 2017

We grow our own gooseberries, lovely straight from the bush.

wee eddie 11:39 02 Aug 2017

One must wait, until the skin is translucent, for them to be at their best for eating raw

Quickbeam 12:23 02 Aug 2017

I planted a quince tree a few years ago. Dunno why though because the fruit is the most tart tasting as you can get!

They make the sourest of gooseberries seem sweet...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Pokémon Let's Go, Pikachu! and Eevee! review

How map doodles inspired Eric Chase Anderson's illustrations for a Wes Anderson classic

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleures tablettes tactiles (2018)