Is Ryanair reaping what it has sowed?

LastChip 10:47 07 Oct 2017

First they cancel thousands of flight seats due to (allegedly) a disastrous rota (though a number of my contacts have suggested this is not the root cause) and now they loose a senior executive - the Chief Operations Officer.

Ryanair are known in the industry not only to treat their customers with contempt, but their staff as well.

Now there is an uplift in available pilot positions in other companies, is this strategy coming back to bite Mr O'Leary on the bum?

Old Deuteronomy 11:29 07 Oct 2017

Now there is an uplift in available pilot positions in other companies, is this strategy coming back to bite Mr O'Leary on the bum?

Methinks yes.

oresome 13:37 07 Oct 2017

The Inland Revenue is also taking a keen interest in how the pilots are employed.

Apparently the pilots are told to set up companies, of which they are directors and their services are then sold to an intermediary who then supplies the pilots to Ryanair.

Sounds very complicated but must have some advantages for Ryanair.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:52 07 Oct 2017

So somebody has had to "carry the can" and become the sacrificial lamb for the fiasco. Quite a few ads on the telly at the moment for Ryan Air "Europes No.1 low cost airline".

LastChip 14:17 07 Oct 2017

Your own company is a two edged sword oresome. Generally it means you have to provide for your own holiday pay, pension, any sick time you may have, indeed, many of the "extras" that those employed under what we would see as normal employment would have as part of the package. So while there may be certain tax advantages, there are also a lot of disadvantages too.

With this arrangement, Ryanair can treat you like any other supplier and drop your services without any explanation or possible retribution as you are not directly employed. So if you rock the boat, don't expect any work. Or indeed, if there's a downturn in aviation generally, then they can cut back without having to pay redundancy and such like. Very flexible for Ryanair, but insecure for staff. But it seems, now the tide is turning.

Clearly the Inland Revenue is concerned it's not getting it's proper slice of the cake. As far as I'm aware, Ryanair is a Republic of Ireland registered company and therefore will fall under the jurisdiction of the Southern Irish government and in a wider context the EU. As far as British tax law is concerned, it is my understanding that if you own a company and your source of income is from only one source, then it is deemed, you are employed by that source. This was to stop a loophole that allowed individuals claiming all sorts of tax relief when in effect, they were employed.

The FE's pretty good on law, so I suspect he'll correct me if I've got the general concept wrong. But that's my understanding.

Govan1x 17:45 07 Oct 2017

It maybe an age thing but if you are traveling with Ryanair make sure you get well wrapped up when going as it is extremely cold on the way back. After a few complaints about the cold they actually turned on the heaters for about 3 minutes which is no good on a 4 hour journey. Take it that it must use extra fuel to keep the cabin at a reasonable temperature.

There was talk that the prices may go up because of the Demise of Monarch which at the moment means less flights leaving.

Should have added cold going as well but those still in holiday mode on the way back with shorts on and short sleeved shirts on will feel the cold the most.

Forum Editor 10:24 08 Oct 2017

Govan1x

"Take it that it must use extra fuel to keep the cabin at a reasonable temperature."

Modern passenger airliners heat the cabin by bleeding hot air from the engine compressor, and mixing it with cold air to get the desired temperature in the cabin. It's free heat - no additional fuel consumption is involved.

Govan1x 12:38 08 Oct 2017

Thanks Forum Editor I was thinking along the lines of Air conditioning in a car which uses more fuel so maybe the same on an airplane.

I Obviously got that wrong.

oresome 13:30 08 Oct 2017

"Ryanair passengers are forced to sit in temperatures of up to 80 degrees because pilots are advised not to turn on the air conditioning. Crews are instructed to switch on the cool air from overhead vents just prior to closing the doors for take-off as running the systems increases fuel costs. The official pilot's manual also says that the power unit used to run the air conditioning should typically be switched on after the temperature gauge hits 25C (77f)."

click here

Pine Man 13:51 08 Oct 2017

forced to sit in temperatures of up to 80 degrees

I got on an Air Transat aircraft from Gatwick to Toronto and whilst waiting to take off the temperature rose to an unbearable heat. I mentioned it to the cabin crew and was told that, to keep prices down, they don't run the air conditioning until the flight has taken off.

It got so bad that I got up and walked off the plane and stood in the airbridge where there was some fresh air. I was told to go back but it was too late as lots of other passengers got up to follow me. We all stood there until the flight was due to push back and then returned to our seats.

Forum Editor 14:16 08 Oct 2017

"...running the systems increases fuel costs."

I was talking about cabin heating, and that uses no additional fuel - the air is already heated in the engine's compressor. If it isn't used to heat the cabin, it goes back into the atmosphere.

Most people would rather have a cabin that is cool, rather than be in one that is too warm. You can always wear a sweater or cover up with a shawl or something if you're cold. If the cabin is too hot there's nothing you can do.

I have never felt too cold in an aircraft.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

8 brilliant character artists speaking at Pictoplasma 2018

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?