Rory Stewart to leave conservative

Teabag. 10:02 04 Oct 2019

Party and stand down as a mp.

Rats leaving sinking ship?

alanrwood 10:42 04 Oct 2019

No, a very principled move from Rory. I personally had a great deal of time for him during the leadership election and I am not a Tory voter.

john bunyan 10:46 04 Oct 2019

Ditto from me

john bunyan 10:50 04 Oct 2019

Seems he is to run as an independent candidate for London Mayor

Rory Stewart

Forum Editor 22:35 04 Oct 2019

"No, a very principled move from Rory."

Don't be so naive - Rory is thinking of Rory's future career first and foremost.

Dunk 06:26 05 Oct 2019

Forum Editor

Spot on, he had tweeted just a couple of days ago that he had no further 'announcements' to make about his future . Cynic in me says "Once a politician, always a politician".

He loves his constituency, so London (about as far away from Cumbria that you can get) must seem perfect for him!

morddwyd 09:14 05 Oct 2019

Thank you FE.

Some seem to regard him as a latter day messiah, but he is simply chucking his toys out of the pram because he no ,longer influence (not that he ever had very much anyway).

rickf 09:30 05 Oct 2019

Don't be so naive - Rory is thinking of Rory's future career first and foremost.

...and BJ isn't of course.

alanrwood 09:50 05 Oct 2019

FE

I am not naive and been around a lot longer than you. You do not know me to make such a derogatory remark just because we do not agree. I am quite able to hold my own opinion on Rory without such a demeaning response. I also do not think your analysis is correct.

Forum Editor 22:43 06 Oct 2019

alanrwood

"I am not naive and been around a lot longer than you."

Being around for a long time doesn't automatically mean you aren't naive in this context, and anyway how on earth can you possibly know that you have been around a lot longer than me?

john bunyan 23:14 06 Oct 2019

Rory is a fellow member of a club I belong to ( although I’ve never met him there as I go rarely), that indicates he has had an interesting career. Have a look at his CV and you wii see he has had a far wider experience than the PM. He may wish to be Mayor - what’s wrong with that?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 7T Pro review

Kristina Bold is a font based on a stroke survivor's handwriting

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures séries Netflix (2019)