Rise and rise in value/price of Cryptocurrencies

wee eddie 13:13 30 Jan 2018

Why does the value/cost/price of a Cryptocurrency keep rising, when the supply keeps increasing to meet demand?

Surely this is the exact opposite to the basic Economic concept of Supply & Demand

qwbos 14:11 30 Jan 2018

It hasn't been much of a constant rise recently. Are cryptocurrencies driven by a mixture of greed and confusion?

wee eddie 14:32 30 Jan 2018

But what causes the price to rise?

Belatucadrus 14:58 30 Jan 2018

Those confused by these matters need only tune in to the "Virtual currency girls" and all will become clear as they guide you through the vicissitudes of twenty first century finance.

But only if you speak Japanese.

wee eddie 15:29 30 Jan 2018

That doesn't explain anything.

Surely the cost of something rises because of limited supply. the supply of none of these currencies is limited in any way

canarieslover 16:06 30 Jan 2018

It looks like a big Ponzi scheme to me and somebody is going to get wise to it eventually. A currency based on nothing tangible will probably collapse back to that nothing and I just hope my pension fund isn't investing in it.

Forum Editor 17:19 30 Jan 2018

"It looks like a big Ponzi scheme to me and somebody is going to get wise to it eventually."

Let's take Bitcoin as an example. The first thing to say is that it is certainly not a ponzi scheme as suggested by canarieslover. Ponzi schemes are based on a fraud, and Bitcoin isn't that.

"Surely the cost of something rises because of limited supply. the supply of none of these currencies is limited in any way"

In Bitcoin's case, the supply is limited to 21 million Bitcoins.

"But what causes the price to rise?"

In a word, demand. When demand exceeds supply the price rises. You might well say that a response to this would be to make more Bitcoins, but it's not that simple; if it was, we would all be doing it.

Bitcoin mining is the largest distributed computer operation in the world, and anyone can become a Bitcoin miner. Unfortunately, mining has become highly competitive, and to stand any chance these days you need some pretty expensive equipment - the hardware and its running costs alone will set you back many hundreds of thousands of pounds, and even then you are not guaranteed success. Mining is frustrating and financially draining, and you need to acquire a great deal of expertise before you even start.

Quickbeam 17:36 30 Jan 2018

I can't help but think South Seas shares and the Dutch Tulip bubble will reappear as the Bitcoin bubble.

Winners at first, then the losers by the multitude. I have more faith in the gold Sovereigns that I've collected over the years.

wee eddie 17:44 30 Jan 2018

FE: I have to admit that your last paragraph sounds like Flim Flam. There are either 21 Million, or there aren't. surely no amount of mining will alter that.

canarieslover 18:19 30 Jan 2018

I know you can mine gold and diamonds and they actually exist, but aren't bitcoins just an internet invention and don't exist physically? Figments of the imagination come to mind. Perhaps I'm just jealous that I didn't get in on the ground floor, and get out when I had sold them for a great profit!!!

bumpkin 20:22 30 Jan 2018

The first bitcoin robbery recently if you read the news. I tend to take Quickbeams view, I would rather have something I can see i.e. cash or gold than something that does not exist other than in hyperspace. All these things can go up and down in value, it is a gamble one takes. For every winner there has to be a loser or it does not work.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?