Hot Topics

RIP Nicolas Parsons Just a Minute host

john bunyan 12:28 28 Jan 2020
Answered

Nicolas Parsons has died aged 96. I listen to Just a Minute on Radio 4 and will miss him hosting it after 50 years. A nice man, RIP

wee eddie 13:31 28 Jan 2020

A fine example to us all. I'll miss his performances on "Just a minute"

Quickbeam 13:46 28 Jan 2020

Just waiting to buzz in when Dunk deviates...

Aitchbee 14:10 28 Jan 2020

Merton was always winding him up regarding his longevity, incorporating this into his surreal renditions - Parsons' never batted an eyelid.

Goodbye Nicolas, RIP.

click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:19 28 Jan 2020
Answer

Not just a good presenter but a brilliant "straight man" for many British comedians in his time.

R.I.P.

Dunk 10:03 29 Jan 2020

Quickbeam

"Just waiting to buzz in when Dunk deviates..."

Hope I've not delayed you too much!

Personally, he was never high on my list of 'entertainers', and I'm assuming, from the lack of replies to this thread, it would seem I'm not alone in that. However, he was, obviously, popular with many others and so I will, respectfully, join them in their RIP messages ( as I would anyone leaving this mortal coil).

[ps Was that deviant enough for you, Quickbeam?]

Quickbeam 11:45 29 Jan 2020

Bzzzz... Repetition of deviation!

Dunk 13:00 29 Jan 2020

Sorry, but can anyone explain what is the matter with Quickbeam?

Genuine query.

Pine Man 13:06 29 Jan 2020

Dunk

You are not alone. I suspect it is something to do with his quiz show on Radio 4.

The last time I saw Nicholas Parsons was when he appeared with Arthur Haynes and I was not impressed.

Quickbeam 13:19 29 Jan 2020

I find it hard to belive for a show that's been on the air for over 50 years, you aren't in any way familiar with the format!

qwbos 13:43 29 Jan 2020

QB

I suspect the success of Just a Minute was down to it's simplicity, along with the quality of the participants, particularly in it's earlier years.

With Kenneth Williams, Peter Jones, Derek Nimmo, Clement Freud, Thora Hird, Lance Percival, Willie Rushton and so many more, it was a guaranteed 30 minutes of laughter.

No abuse or foul language. Something for today's so called comedians to learn from.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

5 video games we want to see as movies

You've watched Parasite, now read the storyboards in comic book form

The best games on Apple Arcade

Les meilleures lumières connectées (2020)