Residential flagpoles & flying the flag

Gordon Freeman 12:08 28 Oct 2015

Colleague of mine lives in a nice residential area, & his opposite neighbour to the rear of his garden (the gardens back onto each other) has apparently installed a flagpole (complete with St. George flag) close to his property & which my colleague considers invasive & a nuisance. I've been and had a look and suggested that he contacts his council for advice. He says he's done this but they won't do anything as some recent government guidelines allow such things. So he feels a bit stuck and is concerned it will devalue his property, and affect the sale which he was planning to do early next year.

I personally don't have a problem with flying a national flag, so long as it's in the right place, but can't help feeling sympathy with my colleague in this. It does look a bit of a bu66er to be honest & I wouldn't like it if it happened where I live.

I thought I'd put in on here to maybe get some comments which might provide advice/assistance.

Anyone come across this & dealt with it successfully?

BT 12:18 28 Oct 2015

..close to his property

Is that your friends property or the neighbours?

I have a neighbour a few doors away who has a flagpole in his back garden and flies various flags. Union Flag, St Georges flag etc. My only annoyance is the odd occasion when he manges to get the Union Flag upside down. Doesn't really bother me apart from the upside down part.

And its not illegal...

Flying the Flag

Gordon Freeman 12:30 28 Oct 2015

..close to his property

By the look of it, it's actually closer to my colleague's house than the opposite neighbour's house. If you can imagine a capital 'T', the opposite neighbour's garden seems to run lengthways down from the house (stem of the capital 'T'), and the flagpole is sited at the bottom of his garden. My colleagues garden runs at 90 degrees to the other garden (top bit of the 'T'), so the flag appears closer to my colleagues house than the opposite neighbour's. I don't 'get' why people feel the need to display flags, to be honest, or cause nuisance, but each to their own I guess...

I personally would have thought, if this neighbour is so patriotic, & feels the need to display a national flag, then he would display it to the front of the house where everyone can see it; not the back garden. Doesn't make sense.

Forum Editor 12:39 28 Oct 2015

In the UK you may fly a national flag on your house or in your garden without the need to seek consent, subject to the following conditions:-

There are no restrictions on the size of the flag, but any flagpole may not exceed 4.6 metres above ground level.

Consent is required if the flag is to be flown in a controlled area

Up to two flags can be flown without consent in the grounds of a building, but only one flag can be flown within the grounds of a building if another flag is either being flown from the roof or is projecting from the building.

In other words, provided the flagpole complies with the height restriction there is nothing your colleague can do about it.

One of the things that makes such an impression on me, each time I visit New York is how many national flags are flying on poles from shops, offices, and private homes. Americans are proud of their flag, and I think a little more in the way of patriotic flag flying might not go amiss in this country.

Gordon Freeman 12:47 28 Oct 2015

Thanks FE, I've found similar info through researching this. I think my colleague's main concern is related to his perception of how this will adversely affect the future sale of his property. Essentially, his view is 'who would want to actually pay market value' for his house when it comes with a flagpole?

oresome 13:03 28 Oct 2015

I've two flags sited on houses within a 100yds or so and one is clearly visible from our kitchen window.

I'm amazed that this flag is regularly changed.

I don't know if there is any significance attached to this, or why someone would bother in all weathers to change the flag.

The cynic in me would think it some type of signal to inform passers by that drugs are available but perhaps that's just me.

Flags can make quite a noise in windy conditions and the one on view from our house is sited on a semi and I wouldn't like to be their neighbour as it's level with the bedroom windows.

spuds 15:54 28 Oct 2015

I suppose it all boils down to one's own liking.

I know quite a number of residencies that have various national flags, attached to front window spaces, more like curtains I guess. Not only does it tell visitor's where their friend's or colleagues live, but also who the occupant's might be.

My next door neighbour, is no exception to that rule. When they moved in twelve months ago, the first thing they did, was the opening flag ceremony, of the country they originate from (Guyana).

Gordon Freeman 16:11 28 Oct 2015

I don't, & would never, display a flag on my property; I think it's cheap & chavvy to be honest & lowers the tone. You could say it's reflective of the type of person who lives there, too. I also don't understand why someone 'needs' to display their patriotism if there's a risk of upsetting others, and in the case of my colleague, a risk to him not being able to sell his property. Maybe I'm just too considerate, whereas others don't really give a monkeys & only think of themselves.

spuds 16:26 28 Oct 2015

Gordon Freeman

I doubt if very many Americans hold the same views as you, in respect of flying the flag.

Surely you have just contradicted yourself, in your above comment of only thinking of themselves.

Gordon Freeman 16:30 28 Oct 2015

Sorry spuds, where's my contradiction?

Forum Editor 16:40 28 Oct 2015

"Maybe I'm just too considerate, whereas others don't really give a monkeys & only think of themselves."

I agree with spuds - your comments seem to imply that as long as everyone agrees with your view on the way to express patriotism they are the 'right' sort of people. The others are "the type of person who lives there".

Most public buildings fly a national flag, and nobody seems to think it's "cheap & chavvy". Probably because it's not - it's an expression of pride in the nation.

I invite you to explain why on earth your colleague runs the risk of not being able to sell his property because one of his near neighbours is patriotic and expresses it. If it means the wrong sort of person lives in the neighbourhood I'm tempted to ask why your colleague lives there in the first place.

We must be one of the few nations on earth where anyone thinks it 'lowers the tone' of a neighbourhood if someone flies the national flag.

The Americans/Australians/New Zealanders etc. have got it right, and we have got it wrong. We're too afraid of what the neighbours might think, and they are not. The result is, you see flags flying outside homes in all those countries, and in many more.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Officially Launches In The UK

Artists FriendsWithYou reimagine Snoopy and Charlie Brown for a Peanuts London takeover

iPad Pro 12.9in (2018) review

Les meilleurs smartphones chinois disponibles en France