Remember we are ALL in this together

carver 21:15 19 May 2013

Just seen this enter link description here and thought about how we have been told we must all pull together to get us out of this mess.

No big pay rises for nurses, redundancy's in the army, pensioners to get about £3 a week, a one percent salary increase for all public sector workers for 2013 and 2014. you get the idea and they could get in one pay rise what some people have to live on for a year.

I realise that they may have to wait but I don't think they will mind too much if it comes off.

john bunyan 21:14 20 May 2013

Forum Editor

"So, by your reckoning the Secretary of State for defence - a person who makes billion pound decisions on a regular basis,and decisions about how our armed forces should be equipped and deployed should be paid the same as a colonel of a regiment?"

No, I did not specify in that detail for ministers, more for MP's. Perhaps the Secretary of State for Defence should be paid in line with the head of the Army - a bit outdated but last I looked the ministerial salary including MP's pay was about £145,500 and the Head of the Army about £165 - 170000. I think that is fair - he would earn less than some Civil Servants, but there you go. Clearly more detail is needed for junior ministers etc, but I am sure a link can be made. Many Civil servants (maybe wrongly) are paid more than their boss , the prime minister, so I see no problem.

Aitchbee 21:29 20 May 2013

alan14 - are you running [for parliament, to be an MP]? You are speaking a lot of nonsense.

Aitchbee 22:00 20 May 2013

alan14 - your first two opening line lines refer to 'an' MP, which may or not be true, but in general, the public's perception of the majority of MPs [and what they actually do to 'earn their corn'] is the complete opposite to your detailed description of a certain MP's diligent workload, to whom [it appears] you have a close connection with.

bumpkin 22:21 20 May 2013

alan14, " Office expenses, A company director doesn't have to pay for office equipment and a secretary out of their own pocket, so why should an MP" A company director or his company do have to pay for these things albeit tax deductible but that is not the same as getting 100% as expenses.

Aitchbee 22:32 20 May 2013

alan14 - I will not argue with that [your last] statement.

carver 22:36 20 May 2013

alan14 I do have personal insight into an MP's life and work, my sister had a father in-law who was an MP.

I saw an entire flat in London furnished at our expense only to find out that the furniture was to large for the flat, including a rather large TV.

Shame he had to exchange it with the old furniture in his house, he also had a second job that paid very well.

He came out of it very well, a flat to sell in London we had paid for and a very good pension that if I had paid into a pension fund for a 75 years I couldn't have received.

Don't get me wrong there are some very good MP's but they are all being tarred with the same brush because of the actions of some of them, I was going to say minority but it's more than a minority taking every thing they can.

carver 22:41 20 May 2013

alan14 "But it doesn't come out of their own pocket, it's company money - that's what I'm getting at

When I ran my company for a few years we struggled and I can assure you any thing that I bought for the company actually came out of my pocket because the company was just keeping it's head above water, or we did without.

And if you applied the same thing now to Company GB we are in that position.

Forum Editor 08:30 21 May 2013

carver

....it's more than a minority taking every thing they can.

How do you know that?

Forum Editor 08:43 21 May 2013

Aitchbee

"in general, the public's perception of the majority of MPs [and what they actually do to 'earn their corn'] is the complete opposite to your detailed description of a certain MP's diligent workload"

Precisely. It's probably the reason you said that alan14 was talking nonsense.

MPs, like bankers, have become the public's bêtes noire. It's happened because some MPs and some bankers have acted irresponsibly,illegally, or both, and some journalists have created the impression that all of them are like that. You've joined the media-influenced flock of sheep, so you say that someone with personal experience of what a conscientious MP does is "speaking a lot of nonsense".

You should apologise.

Aitchbee 09:43 21 May 2013

alan14 - I retract my inappropriate statement that 'you were speaking nonsense' regarding the hard working MP that you described in your long post last night and I appologise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Watch Active 2 review

The Berlin Wall inspires a new font for the 30th anniversary of its fall

AirPods Pro review

Test : la HolyHigh, une montre connectée GPS orientée sport