Reducing sugar in Childrens' Diets.

morddwyd 06:19 01 Apr 2017

Am I wrong in thinking that reducing sugar in childrens' diets , and therefore childhood obesity, is the responsibility of parents and not the government or manufacturers, and that a grossly obese child is as much a victim of neglect as a starving one and needs petition?

Forum Editor 13:48 04 Apr 2017

Burn-it

The important point here is that the lack of salt actually kills whereas too much salt is excreted and may increase blood pressure if insufficient liquid is taken.

I am NOT an idiot and probably know more about medical issues than you or most people, having parents and aunts high up in the medical profession.

Actually, my wife is 'high up in the medical profession'. Nobody called you an idiot - there's your paranoia again. You claim to know a bit about medical issues, but you make a silly, incorrect comment about too much salt being excreted and causing 'blood pressure' if insufficient liquid is taken. You obviously do not know as much as you think you do.

Let's get some facts straight, shall we?

Excess salt actually leads to your body retaining liquid, and it's the retained water that causes raised blood pressure. That in turn puts extra strain on the heart, the kidneys, and the brain. It makes your kidneys less able to remove excess water from your body. Over time, excess salt consumption can lead to total kidney failure - they are not able to filter toxins from your body, and if nothing is done you will die. Raised blood pressure is a major problem in western countries, and excess salt consumption is a major factor. It can lead to heart attacks and stroke, amongst other things.

Contrary to what you seem to believe, excess salt consumption is a far greater problem in the population than salt deficiency, which is why the government has taken action to get manufacturers to reduce the excessive amount of salt in processed foods.

This salt reduction is not causing people to 'nearly die' as you inferred. If you were hospitalised because salt was removed from manufactured foods you obviously have a very specific and unusual problem. Had you said as much at the beginning, instead of making sweeping claims, nobody would have argued.

john bunyan 16:32 04 Apr 2017

My wife had a colectomy , later reconnected with only about 6 " of colon remaining. She has never been advised to eat more salt. In my extensive network of family and friends , I have only ever heard of people being asked to reduce, not increase, salt consumption. The only time I recall the issue is when I was on a Jungle Warfare course in Borneo , where we were told to drink until we needed to urinate, and to add a bit of salt, since we lost enormous amounts of fluids due to humidity and perspiration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPad Air (2019) review

Moleskine launches limited edition Lord of the Rings notebook collection

iMac 21.5in (2019) review

Comment faire pivoter une vidéo ?