Reducing sugar in Childrens' Diets.

morddwyd 06:19 01 Apr 2017

Am I wrong in thinking that reducing sugar in childrens' diets , and therefore childhood obesity, is the responsibility of parents and not the government or manufacturers, and that a grossly obese child is as much a victim of neglect as a starving one and needs petition?

wee eddie 22:12 03 Apr 2017

No, I am not accusing you of lying. I do think that, somewhere along the line, you have misunderstood the level of salt reduction in Commercially Available products.

Should you be requiring extra salt in your diet, no Doctor would rely on the random quantities salt included in Mass Market foodstuffs. Different Brands of the same product can contain wildly differing percentages of salt, which would make for a very unreliable way of controlling your intake.

If you were to take Butter as an example. Of course there is Unsalted Butter. Then there are several dozen different brands on the market which contain between 0.005% and 3% salt, and all are described as "Slightly Salted". That is before one examines the Salt content of "Salted Butter" and, of course, Cheeses.

wee eddie 22:20 03 Apr 2017

And, while we're at it.

The salt and sugar content of Bread. Wildly variable from Baker to Baker

bumpkin 22:24 03 Apr 2017

* large numbers of modern parents seem to think it's more important to have a good time themselves, rather than devote time and effort to bringing their children up properly*

Exactly and there is the problem which is likely to continue into future generations.

Burn-it 22:54 03 Apr 2017

No, I am not accusing you of lying. I do think that, somewhere along the line, you have misunderstood the level of salt reduction in Commercially Available products.

Yes you were and now you are accusing me of being stupid as well! You need to be careful about what you say about people especially those who you do not know or know their background.

Aitchbee 23:29 03 Apr 2017

I always take in what people say on this forum with a pinch of salt ;o]

Forum Editor 08:34 04 Apr 2017

hyponatremia is the name given to a lack of sufficient salt intake, It's more common in elderly people who are taking diuretics - otherwise, most of us get sufficient salt from a normal diet.

If you are salt deficient, your blood pressure will drop, you'll feel listless, and generally fatigued. If you feel that you aren't getting enough salt, you should check with your GP who can advise on a daily salt tablet to adjust salt levels.

What you shouldn't do is randomly start sprinkling table salt on your food - it's easy to overdose, and then you are at risk.

Virtually everything you eat (including fresh fruit and vegetables) contains some salt, and an average person eating a normal healthy diet gets all the salt he or she needs, without having to add any. My wife and I eat what would be termed a normal healthy diet, and neither of us has added salt to anything for years with no ill-effects whatsoever.

morddwyd 09:13 04 Apr 2017

"you'll feel listless, and generally fatigued. "

Ah! So that's what it is. I just thought I was a lazy slob!

Forum Editor 13:04 04 Apr 2017

Burn-it "Yes you were and now you are accusing me of being stupid as well! You need to be careful about what you say about people especially those who you do not know or know their background".

I think you might want to rein in the paranoia - I can't see that anyone has accused you of being a liar, or of being stupid.

Saying that you nearly died because of government food legislation is a pretty wild accusation, and on the face of it one that is very difficult to believe. Perhaps there are special circumstances in your case that you haven't told us about?

Otherwise, like wee eddie, I have to say that I find it hard to believe. You may well have become salt deficient, but to say it was the legislation which caused it is surely a gross exaggeration.

Forum Editor 13:05 04 Apr 2017

morddwyd

"Ah! So that's what it is. I just thought I was a lazy slob!"

As someone once famously said, I couldn't possibly comment.

Burn-it 13:29 04 Apr 2017

Otherwise, like wee eddie, I have to say that I find it hard to believe. You may well have become salt deficient, but to say it was the legislation which caused it is surely a gross exaggeration.

Well lets look at it the sensible way shall we. I am NOT an idiot and probably know more about medical issues than you or most people, having parents and aunts high up in the medical profession. I managed to live quite happly for years, but only became ill (due to lack of salt - it is stateed as such on my medical records) when manufacturers started leaving salt out of many foods, because of legislation It may be a physical condition that I suufer from, but that does NOT alter the fact that the reduction of salt in many foods brought a crisis. The important point here is that the lack of salt actually kills whereas too much salt is excreted and may increase blood pressure if insufficient liquid is taken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Apple unveils first ‘pro’ iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max

InDesign at 20: how Adobe beat Quark to become the graphic design tool of choice

iPhone 11 Pro confirmed: Release date, price & specs

Les meilleures montres connectées (2019)