Reducing sugar in Childrens' Diets.

morddwyd 06:19 01 Apr 2017

Am I wrong in thinking that reducing sugar in childrens' diets , and therefore childhood obesity, is the responsibility of parents and not the government or manufacturers, and that a grossly obese child is as much a victim of neglect as a starving one and needs petition?

Forum Editor 08:34 01 Apr 2017

"a grossly obese child is as much a victim of neglect as a starving one and needs petition?"

petition?

Obviously, the prime responsibility for eating habits lies with the parents, but lots of parents don't seem to possess the willpower necessary to safeguard their childrens' health.

It makes it easier for the government to help, and manufacturers should do the same - it isn't OK for them to sit back and churn out sugar-laden products. The term 'social responsibility' should apply.

morddwyd 09:27 01 Apr 2017

Sorry, "petition" - "protection"

morddwyd 09:39 01 Apr 2017

"It makes it easier for the government to help, and manufacturers should do the same - it isn't OK for them to sit back and churn out sugar-laden products. The term 'social responsibility' should apply."

Then it should also apply to tobacco and alcohol products, whose manufacturers who are also sitting back and churning out unhealthy products. What about fat laden products, not just fast food like burgers, but butter, Channel Islands milk, clotted cream, pork sausages, bacon. Are we going to see a statutory lmit on the amount of salt and vinegar which may be added to our fish and chips?

Like charity, "social responsibility" begins at home.

Belatucadrus 11:40 01 Apr 2017

Like charity, "social responsibility" begins at home.

Or perhaps "social responsibility" SHOULD begin at home.

Unfortunately the images of Rotheram parents outraged at their kids having to eat healthy food stuffing chips through the school fence shows that some people just don't listen.

Cymro. 14:12 01 Apr 2017

There was a time when all sorts of things were acceptable when bringing up children. Laudanum was given to babies so that they would sleep more soundly. Sugar is given to children stop them wanting it or as a reward. Too much sugar is a health hazard and I see nothing wrong in the government discouraging us from giving too much of it to our children.

bumpkin 20:42 01 Apr 2017

My children do not like sugar but they like alcohol and tobacco. Me to blame of course, it can't be anyone else can it.

Aitchbee 21:21 01 Apr 2017

My solution would be to create healthy low-calorie supermarkets up-and-down-the-land ... where all responsible parents with very young children [on tow] could easily avoid any high-calorie foodstuffs. [TIC]

bumpkin 21:43 01 Apr 2017

all responsible parents

No such thing it would seem, every thing a child does no matter what age is always the fault of the parents it appears.

Forum Editor 22:48 01 Apr 2017

bumpkin

"every thing a child does no matter what age is always the fault of the parents it appears."

Not everything, but a great deal is the fault of the parents, yes. In particular, eating an unhealthy diet starts in the home - very young children are strongly influenced by parents where diet is concerned, and bad habits formed then are difficult to break.

Menzie 22:55 01 Apr 2017

In my mind there are two things at play here regarding health not just in Britain but worldwide.

I'm fairly young (mid-30s) and growing up having a takeaway was a Friday night thing in my household. Maybe the occasional once in a blue moon stop at a fast food place or restaurant visit on a birthday. Rest of the time it was a home cooked meal with fresh ingredients.

The food industry has changed over the years, sure trans fats are (mostly?) gone and dyes are used less. However loads of sugars have been placed into foods now which the manufacturers use for flavour. In many cases looking at an ingredient list it is possible to spot 3 or more types of sugars in many products.

Not only have the foods changed but the lifestyles of people have too, takeaways aren't a treat any more, for many they are a regular part of their diet. One needs to only look in a McDonald's in the morning while on commute to see the crowds stopping for breakfast. That five minutes waiting in line could have prepared something at home.

Serving sizes and package sizes are also shrinking but lifestyles have become more sedate.

Going after food manufacturers is a start, however people need to start being more active as well and more conscious of just how much sugar they are taking in daily.

I've made some tiny changes over the years to my diet and lost 3 stones. It is amazing how your taste buds readjust after having fruits, etc for a sweet fix. Now chocolates, supermarket pastries, etc. all feel too sweet.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Moto G6 Play Review: First Look

iPad 9.7in (2018) review

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?