Recent reporting of the two World Wars

wee eddie 14:08 10 Nov 2018

I fully understand the lack of desire of our youth to support the militaristic side of Poppy Day each November 11th.

However, I feel that much of the reason for this is that our Press never mentions why we had to go to war. There is no mention of the Central European Leader, whose territorial ambitions included the appropriation of the territories surrounding his Country, including the United Kingdom.

It is "Never" mentioned, to avoid hurting the feelings of this generation of that Central European Country, that his troops marched across Europe, killing and destroying as they went, and had it not been for the bravery of our people, helped by an assortment of others including the Americans, Australians, Indians and New Zealanders, to mention a few.

There would have been no need for an EEC as the whole of Europe would have been part of a single Nation.

We did not go to war as a jaunt, it was to stop the physical invasion of our Country by a Third Party.

I think that the Press is failing in its duty by not highlighting the reason for the World Wars.

Quickbeam 15:09 10 Nov 2018

Double big mistake! In trump speak...

Quickbeam 15:13 10 Nov 2018

"There has only ever been ONE world war but with a 21 year cease fire from 1918 to 1939!"

That's generally put down to Fosh insisting on crippling post war reparations. They wanted to do the same after WW2, but America insisted on the Marshal plan instead.

Quickbeam 15:31 10 Nov 2018

I just found a copy of the 1839 treaty online, but it's pretty dry reading! But none the less of some interest in the context of this weekend.

Quickbeam 15:35 10 Nov 2018

"Article VII.

Belgium, within the limits specified in Articles I, II, and IV, shall form an independent and perpetually neutral State. It shall be bound to observe such neutrality towards all other States."

Does this mean that it's still in force, or do the NATO treaties replace it?

Old Deuteronomy 20:06 10 Nov 2018

Double big mistake! In trump speak...

No, Trump would boast that he could make a bigger mistake, the biggest mistake we have ever seen!

Forum Editor 22:52 10 Nov 2018

Quickbeam

The Kaiser referred to the treaty as 'a little scrap of paper' and found it hard to understand that we would go to war over something so trifling.

Flat Earther 00:52 11 Nov 2018

I think the OP is deluded, our press "Never" mention this, that or the other is total nonsense, not that is their responsibility, our youths have parents and teachers to inform them.

wee eddie 04:15 11 Nov 2018

The OP here.

I don't wish to be rude to you Flat Earth but a great many of the young that I speak to, appear to think that taking part on the First and Second World Was was a "sort of" voluntary thing ("Your Country Needs You" etc) that the people of the UK did out of some weird form of Nationalism.

Many of our young appear have no concept that there were a load of Germans (both World Wars) rolling across Europe with the express intention of subduing all in their path and taking over. Much in the same way as The Chinese did in Tibet and Putin did in the Crimea.

Quickbeam 05:57 11 Nov 2018

"...and found it hard to understand that we would go to war over something so trifling."

Something that Hitler also thought of us regarding Poland!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Elephone U2 Review

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)