Recent reporting of the two World Wars

wee eddie 14:08 10 Nov 2018

I fully understand the lack of desire of our youth to support the militaristic side of Poppy Day each November 11th.

However, I feel that much of the reason for this is that our Press never mentions why we had to go to war. There is no mention of the Central European Leader, whose territorial ambitions included the appropriation of the territories surrounding his Country, including the United Kingdom.

It is "Never" mentioned, to avoid hurting the feelings of this generation of that Central European Country, that his troops marched across Europe, killing and destroying as they went, and had it not been for the bravery of our people, helped by an assortment of others including the Americans, Australians, Indians and New Zealanders, to mention a few.

There would have been no need for an EEC as the whole of Europe would have been part of a single Nation.

We did not go to war as a jaunt, it was to stop the physical invasion of our Country by a Third Party.

I think that the Press is failing in its duty by not highlighting the reason for the World Wars.

wee eddie 14:11 10 Nov 2018

Wotld should read World. I seem to get no Spell Checker in the Title Bar.

wee eddie 14:18 10 Nov 2018

I would like to add to this posting.

They have not experienced the Cold War and have little knowledge of the real terror of a Nuclear War and personal Annihilation.

That Nation is still belligerent and its Leader has demonstrated Territorial Ambitions which, with Trump in control of America, become a very present possibility.

Forum Editor 14:26 10 Nov 2018

"We did not go to war as a jaunt, it was to stop the physical invasion of our Country by a Third Party."

If you're talking about the First World War, arguments about who started it and why have raged ever since 1918.

If you meant the Second World War, Britain and France declared war on Germany two days after the German invasion of Poland. Hitler's direct threat to invade us came later, in 1940. Initially, he expected us to crumble when German troops swept across France. Only when Hitler saw our determination to continue the fight did he begin to talk about an invasion.

Cymro. 14:30 10 Nov 2018

wee eddie you seem very shy of actually coming out with the name of the country you are talking about or it's leader.

I don't see why this should be. I assume you are on about Germany and Hitler. Mind you there were others at about the same time. Perhaps you have a very painful and personal history of such evel people and times. I hope that is not the case.

Cymro. 14:33 10 Nov 2018

correction evil rather than evel

wee eddie 14:38 10 Nov 2018

FE: The Third Reich envisaged the whole of Europe as its fiefdom. Poland was just the first step, not a single expedition.

As for the First World War. The Kaiser was not backward in jumping on the bandwagon and used the assignation of Franz Ferdinand as an excuse to further his Territorial Ambitions

Forum Editor 14:42 10 Nov 2018

"The Third Reich envisaged the whole of Europe as its fiefdom. Poland was just the first step, not a single expedition."

Yes, but the reason we declared war was not because of any fear of invasion of our country. We did it because Poland was our ally.

In 1914 we went to war because Germany wanted us to ignore a treaty with Belgium and let the German Army pass through Belgium. On 4th August 1914 Germany ignored our protestations and attacked France via Belgium. The following day we were officially at war with Germany

HondaMan 14:57 10 Nov 2018

Here is a thought provoking comment I saw the other day

There has only ever been ONE world war but with a 21 year cease fire from 1918 to 1939!

Quickbeam 15:03 10 Nov 2018

"In 1914 we went to war because Germany wanted us to ignore a treaty with Belgium"

That would be the 1839 Treaty of London that the Kaiser figured we wouldn't honour after 75 years as being well past it's sell by date.

Big mistake! As Trump might have put it...

Quickbeam 15:08 10 Nov 2018

But we're in a different world now from when major powers would just steal someones country and resources to increase their lot.

In both cases with Germany going to war, they were on the verge of European economic domination, our Empire was peaking, they didn't have to go to war. Once economic domination was achieved, they would be the major economic, industrial and political nation.

They made the wrong choice twice.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?