Realistically, what could we have done?

oresome 11:23 21 Jul 2019

I refer to the seizure of the UK registered oil tanker by gunmen who landed on board by helicopter.

Short of shooting down the helicopter prior to it landing the men, which would have been a serious escalation of the situation I'd have thought our actions were quite limited.

I can see that Boris will have his work cut out from Wednesday.

grumpy old man 11:57 21 Jul 2019

This reminds my of when we saw Icelandic trawlers playing silly devils with our trawlers and gunboats but obviously this is more serious.

I think diplomatic channels must be tried first regardless of who is holding the talks because "borders" or "protectors" wont take being shot at lying down , then and only should we bring in military support. on the pretence we told you to stop.

bremner 12:33 21 Jul 2019

What did we really think would happen when we seized the Iranian tanker off Gibraltar.

That was a very questionable decision and was it made without the Foreign Secretary having his finger on the plus due to his PM contest distraction.

john bunyan 13:21 21 Jul 2019

Bremmer

Quite right. The anti Syria ban is an EU and particularly a USA one and the Iranians( odious as their support for terrorists may be), do not see themselves obliged to obey the ban. Our seizure of their supertanker was bound to cause a response. Why were British ships not immediately obliged to only sail through the Straits of Hormuz in a convoy accompanied by a US or U.K. warship? In addition, 42 Commando , Royal Marines have been re- configured to provide detachments for RN and MN vessels to defend them or to carry out anti piracy operations. We want to avoid conflict, but a person carrying a big stick is less likely to be attacked than a naked one. Whilst one wishes to avoid dealing under duress it is obvious that we need to find a way of releasing the Drake and expect them to release our tanker ( and maybe the British - Iranian lady.). Just the sort of issue that MI6 and their Iranian opposites ought to negotiate

john bunyan 14:14 21 Jul 2019

Sorry; Drake wrong : meant Grace 1

morddwyd 19:28 21 Jul 2019

Short of shooting down the helicopter

And there you have it. Lack of political will (and strategic foresight).

We are an island nation dependent on seaborne trade and we should make sure that no-one in the world loses sight of that fact.

With no maritime air cover and a toothless navy the world can thumb its nose at us.

Govan1x 00:04 22 Jul 2019

Recalling HMS Montrose and sending another one in its place.

I do not think that they were happy with the ships captain in taking no action.

morddwyd 09:36 22 Jul 2019

Send the Queen Elizabeth.

Oh I forgot.

We can't afford to buy aeroplanes for her.

Quickbeam 09:56 22 Jul 2019

Old sceptics never die!

Quickbeam 09:58 22 Jul 2019

"I do not think that they were happy with the ships captain in taking no action."

LMF...?

bremner 16:00 22 Jul 2019

The Montrose was a hour away so what could it have done?

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Imminent Moto Razr reboot rumoured to be pricy mid-ranger

Murugiah: Musings on movies, mental health and Miles Morales from the young master

Apple TV streaming service: what, where, when and how much

Les meilleurs smartphones pas chers (2019)