Reading Festival loses the plot

Clapton is God 08:38 27 Aug 2018

When I attended the Reading Festival back in the 70s it was a proper festival, i.e. rock music.

The BBC website today tells me that this weekend's festival has been dominated by rap "music" or, as it should be correctly spelt, crap "music".

What has the world come to?

Quickbeam 08:46 27 Aug 2018

I went there in '75 & '76. YES, that was the back end of the era of pretentious prog rock, but the start proper street rock!

Quickbeam 08:48 27 Aug 2018

Keith Richards' opinion of rap, is that it's for the tone deaf!

Forum Editor 08:52 27 Aug 2018

"What has the world come to?"

That echoes the cry of an older generation when rock music first came on the scene. Rap music obviously isn't your thing, but to tens of millions of younger people it's wonderful.

You need to understand that each generation needs a musical 'uniform' to provide it with an identity - yours (and mine) was rock. Rather than dismiss Rap music in the derogatory way you have, perhaps you should really try listening to some of it - it speaks to 21st century youngsters like rock spoke to us.

I don't thing the Reading Festival has lost the plot at all - it's catering to a demand.

Forum Editor 08:58 27 Aug 2018

Quickbeam

"Keith Richards' opinion of rap, is that it's for the tone deaf!"

Keith is a dinosaur He's simply saying what members of an older generation once said about the music he and his mates played, back in the day.

What goes around, comes around.

Belatucadrus 09:06 27 Aug 2018

Keith is a dinosaur He's simply saying what members of an older generation once said about the music he and his mates played, back in the day.

True, but it doesn't mean he's wrong. Back in the day when the likes of Gil Scott-Heron and Public Enemy started it Rap had power and a point it was protest music with a message. Now it's just generic misogynist pop crap.

Clapton is God 09:21 27 Aug 2018

"it speaks to 21st century youngsters ..."

Quite. That's precisely what these crap "musicians" do - they speak some words over a non-musical background.

Oh, and by the way, I know many "21st century youngsters" who also have a complete disregard/dislike of this genre.

I also agree completely with Keef.

Quickbeam 09:39 27 Aug 2018

Hardcore rap is the new antiestablishment punk scene.

But with no unique riffs or melodies, they all have the same sounding monotonous drone rhythm.

I think KR's description of rap is musically very accurate, dinosaur Keef or not!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:06 27 Aug 2018

Definition of Opera - Someone singing when they should be talking

Definition of Rap - Someone talking when they should be singing

Forum Editor 10:17 27 Aug 2018

Belatucadrus/Clapton is God

You sound exactly like a lot of the older generation sounded, back in the 1950's when Bill Haley and the Comets were performing.

That generation used words very similar to yours to describe the music that youngsters began to like (except that they wouldn't have called it crap - they were too well-mannered).

The detractors called rock & roll 'degenerate' and bemoaned its lack of melody, its brashness, its lack of refinement, etc., etc. They said it would never last, and some of them tried locking their daughters up, so they couldn't dance the night away and be corrupted by the music.

Now, you're doing exactly the same kind of thing, although you're using different words.

I love rock music, I was in a band when I was younger, and worshipped the likes of Lynyrd skinyrd, Led Zeppelin, et al. I don't like a lot of today's music, but I wouldn't dream of calling it 'crap'. To do that about another generation's music is to demonstrate a state of mind that gives the game away - you have declined into the very state that your chosen musical genre's artistes sought to avoid - you have become narrow-minded and hidebound.

Cymro. 10:45 27 Aug 2018

Myself and the wife were going through Reading station some years ago. It must have been about this time of the year as the festival was on. As you can imagine the station was packed with youngsters and rather chaotic. As a couple of old fogies out of the sticks this could have been rather intimidating to us. But we should not have worried as a nicer more helpful bunch of youngsters you could not wish to meet. They looked after us and our luggage and wheelchair saw us to the taxi and set us safely on our way through wat was for us a station unvisited before. So whatever the music let's all hope they have a good time of it as I am sure they deserve.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Home Hub review

Print legends Dan Mumford and Supermundane on making the leap from 2D to AR

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

OnePlus 6T : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs