Raising or lowering the voting age?

Cymro. 16:09 07 Jan 2019

BBC link

Should the UK be raising rather than lowering the voting age? Some politicians are actively campaigning to allow 16 and 17-year-olds to vote at general elections. But perhaps we should consider raising the age at which youngsters can vate rather than lower it. Personally I would rather tha age at which you can vote was lowered than raised. My arguments are just the old once of if they are old enough to pay taxes, die fighting in a war for their country, get married with parents consent, have sex without anyone's consent etc. etc. then they are old enough to start taking part in the democracy of their country.

Aitchbee 16:58 07 Jan 2019

Looking at it from a different perspective I would like to see an upper age limit - say 70 - that would 'concentrate one's mind' politically while one was still able to. [TIC]

Belatucadrus 17:07 07 Jan 2019

I think there should be an upper age limit in the houses of parliament, say maybe 65 ? To remove some of the more obviously befuddled from the benches of power I'm sure Jeremy would't agree though.

john bunyan 18:20 07 Jan 2019

You are, these days, not deployed to the front line in the forces below 18, so that is in line.

Quickbeam 18:26 07 Jan 2019

"Looking at it from a different perspective I would like to see an upper age limit - say 70 - that would 'concentrate one's mind' politically while one was still able to."

Well a voting window of 16 - 70 would have solved the Brexit dilemma!

Quickbeam 18:52 07 Jan 2019

I was sceptical when the Scottish parliament allowed 16 year olds to vote in the Indy Ref, but when I heard some of them being interviewed I saw it as no different to when I was allowed to vote at the newly lowered 18 age of majority.

If you're politically aware and interested, your vote is valuable. If you're not remotely interested, then you just won't bother to vote, just like many in the 18 to death age group.

Pine Man 18:54 07 Jan 2019

if they are old enough to pay taxes,

........and they are paying taxes they can vote.

Quickbeam 18:56 07 Jan 2019

I could probably have phrased that better... ;-)

Aitchbee 19:03 07 Jan 2019

Well a voting window of 16 - 70 would have solved the Brexit dilemma!

I disagree. We voted to leave. There is no dilemma.

Govan1x 19:04 07 Jan 2019

It is like telling John Bunyan he is to old to vote.It is not going to happen.

I think that the Scotland referendum showed that some 16 year old's are more than ready to vote and were not the disaster that some thought it might be.

So a lower age of 16 yrs old for me and as long as you are fit enough to get to the polls it should not matter what age you are.

We maybe old and weary but we can still remember the 40's and 50's like it was yesterday. Just a pity we cant remember some things from yesterday.

Quickbeam 19:08 07 Jan 2019

You gifted me that bone to wave in front of you HB!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei MateBook X Pro (2019) review

Inside the redesign of the world's largest computer games platform, Steam

Apple TV Plus streaming service launch, release date and price

Samsung Galaxy Fold : date de sortie, prix et fiche technique