"Savoir Faire" - French Style!

morddwyd 06:58 01 Mar 2017

"I hope it's nothing serious."

President Hollande of France after a shot rang out while he was making a speech!

If that had been Washington they'd still have been in lockdown.

john bunyan 11:16 01 Mar 2017

We used to call such events a "Negligent Discharge ". Had a few near misses from them in my time.... In USA the police have a long history of shooting people, some accidentally!

morddwyd 19:34 01 Mar 2017

"We used to call such events a "Negligent Discharge "."

I once put a three inch rocket across the active main runway of a major international airport.

Now that's what you call a real "negligent discharge, not a silly little pop-gun going off by accident!

VCR97 20:46 01 Mar 2017

Shouldn't the policeman's rifle have had the safety catch on?

Teabag. 21:07 01 Mar 2017

Will the same policeman be selected for duty if Donald Trump pays a visit?

morddwyd 08:09 02 Mar 2017

Shouldn't the policeman's rifle have had the safety catch on?

No point in having a gum in your hand if the safety catch is on.

If you draw your weapon you presumably intend to use it. In today's climate you'll be dead before your thumb even touches the safety catch.

bumpkin 12:40 02 Mar 2017

If you draw your weapon you presumably intend to use it.

What? like your rocket launcher do you mean. Was this one of your Health & Safety demonstrations:-)

Pine Man 12:47 02 Mar 2017

If you draw your weapon you presumably intend to use it.

Given that this was actually a rifle it was already drawn and the only way to move around with a loaded rifle is to ensure that the safety catch is set.

Cymro. 12:49 02 Mar 2017

I hate to think how things would have turned out if something like this would have happened in America especially with Trump as president. It could have ended up with more than just a couple a leg wounds.

VCR97 19:18 02 Mar 2017

As the policeman was on a roof I can't see that he was in imminent danger and needed to have the catch off. I've only used a Lee-Enfield .303 but I'm sure that I could have the catch off by the time that I had the rifle in the firing position.

morddwyd 19:57 02 Mar 2017

but I'm sure that I could have the catch off by the time that I had the rifle in the firing position.

You'd also have been dead! With a long gun it's even more important - up and shoot in an instant - that's why our coppers find it so hard. A millisecond to make a life or death decision, yours or somebody else's.

Must admit I didn't know it was a rifle, my original post was not about the inscident, but M. Hollande's refreshing laid back attitude.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Oppo A9 2020 Review

The year's best animated short Hair Love is finally online

Mac Pro 2019 release date, price, features & specs

Cdiscount : la PS4 Pro 1 To + 5 jeux à moins de 400 €