"Designated Place" Deliveries No Longer om Offer?

morddwyd 10:04 04 Dec 2018

Some weeks ago I posted about Sainsbury now insisting on face to face deliveries and no longer delivering to a designated place. At the time I put it down to a one off unfortunate change of policy by Sainsbury.

However, over the last few weeks I've found levers others who are reluctant to do this, including some where I have been using this facility for up to ten years like Amazon or my frozen meals supplier.

Is there some new legal restriction, or a major increase in theft or fraud or perhaps a national general change of policy?

If the latter it will make quite a difference to people like me.

Pine Man 10:28 04 Dec 2018

Have you actually asked these suppliers what their policy is for people such as yourself?

morddwyd 11:24 04 Dec 2018

Sainsbury are adamant that an over 18 must sign, my meal supplier ignored me, and Amason simply send Template letter. Most of the others just blame the carrier

wee eddie 12:17 04 Dec 2018

I can understand their reluctance, as there is said to have been a rise in the number of claims for wrong or failed delivery. Unfortunately, they are not able to deal with you as an individual but must write a Policy that is applicable to all.

morddwyd 19:42 04 Dec 2018

Possibly, but the risk is all with the consignee, and in any event in these days of shared data I would think that most sellers would have a record of known fraudsters.

one is unlikely to get away with regular claims and would soon be blacklisted.

My most recent complaint (3 or 4 deliveries a week for ten years or so) was to Tesco about a fresh chicken delivered during the hot summer, which was "high" .

I told them I didn't want recompense, just something they should be aware of. They refunded me anyway, with real money, not a credit note. Mutual respect and honesty.

One would also expect that long time customers would be advised of changes in TCs.

wee eddie 19:55 04 Dec 2018

I am now looking upon your problem in a new light.

Considering fresh chicken. which is an item that should be refrigerated "at all times" until it is ready to be cooked. I can understand their reluctance to deliver to anything other than your person in the future.

morddwyd 09:26 05 Dec 2018

Fresh chicken (or fish, or pork, or offal) has never been a problem except on this occasion. I have never even had melted ice dream.

Tsco (and Asda, Morrisons, and most others ) are not reluctant to deliver. I have historical problems with Parcelforce and Sainsbury, and they are now joined by Amazon (non food products) and a frozen meal company, and I'm just wondering why.

Most accept that all risk is mine, and many, if not most, drivers, for their own protection, take photo of the "Please Leave Goods ...." notice, and a photo of the goods in the designated place.

Has worked fairly painlessly for ten years or so; I'm just wondering what has caused the chance!

wee eddie 09:31 05 Dec 2018

I would guess - Your complaint about the chicken.

In these days, margins are tight. The cost of replacing that chicken must have severely dented the profitability of your account

Forum Editor 15:56 05 Dec 2018

If I was a food retailer doing home deliveries, I would certainly insist on a face to face policy. It's the only sure way to prove delivery, and to prevent claims for spoiled fresh food.

It's commonsense really. Unfortunately, you can't rely on people being honest these days. Customers will claim that 'safe place' deliveries haven't arrived when they have, and opportunists will steal food deliveries if they can.

BT 17:38 05 Dec 2018

My most recent complaint (3 or 4 deliveries a week for ten years or so) was to Tesco

I've always found Tesco will refund against delivery mistakes with no questions asked. Their substitutions policy has always been generous in my experience. I've had two small chickens or an Extra large one when the didn't have the medium one ordered. They sent me a whole bone in shoulder of Pork on one occasion when I ordered a piece of boneless shoulder and refunded the whole cost when I complained.

morddwyd 20:46 05 Dec 2018

You have all missed the point entirely, and I wish I'd never mentioned the damned chicken which I simply mentioned as an example of how well the system works!

I am not complaining, simply enquiring.

After 10 years or so of relatively trouble free "Designated Safe Place" deliveries, a widely used and accepted concept, at least three on line retailers, not all of them food retailers, have apparently changed their policy in the last two weeks.

I am just wandering why.

FE

You documented your prejudice against delivering to disabled people quite fully in my Sainsbury thread. Luckily most retailers have more compassion, otherwisw I would starve or end up in care.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Windows Lite: what it is and when it might be released

Candid photography at home is helping Swedes to sell houses

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment installer Fortnite sur un Mac ?