Hot Topics

Question for the aircraft spotters

johndrew 14:29 04 Apr 2014
Answered

I have been attempting to identify an aircraft for a friend from a brass model he has. I accept the model may just be a 'figment' and have no bearing in reality but with luck it may resemble a true aircraft closely enough that some here may recognise it from the information below.

The aircraft is a twin engined, low winged monoplane. It has similarities in form to a Mosquito in that the canopy is raised above the fuselage, but the engines do not extend beyond the nose. The tail is similar to a Lancaster in that it has twin fins. There are no turrets indicated in any position. The engine nacelles have indications of oil cooler inlets at the front bottom (a crescent type inlet) and would indicate in-line engines rather than rotary; no propellers have been modelled. My guess from the scale is the aircraft would be a similar size to an Avro Anson.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks in anticipation.

morddwyd 08:03 06 Apr 2014

Of course, thank you.

Doesn't fit the bill here, of course.

onthelimit1 09:03 06 Apr 2014

Dornier 217?

Picture here

johndrew 10:27 06 Apr 2014

Thanks again all for your input.

I note I have (for some reason I can't explain) been using the term "rotary" when referring to "radial" engines. As I'm certain you all recognise there is a substantial difference; the last rotary engine (where the actual cylinders rotate around the crankshaft) I'm aware of was used in a French bi-plane back in the first part of the 1910s!

The engines in the aircraft I'm attempting to identify are "in-line".

The difference in the nacelle shape is marked with an in-line engine having a smooth elongated shape ans a radial engine being shorter and open at the front.

Thanks again for your input.

1]: [click here 2]: [click here 3]: [click here 4]: [click here 5]: [click here

Belatucadrus 13:59 06 Apr 2014
Answer

Left field suggestions

Petlyakov Pe-2 Miles M65 Gemini

johndrew 14:25 06 Apr 2014

Left field works for me!!

Comparing the model and the pictures I believe it to be either a Petlyakov Pe-2 or Petlyakov Pe-3. Visually there is very little difference in shape and the model being brass would fail to show fine detail and paint scheme - the latter being the greatest variation between the fighter and dive bomber variant.

Unless anyone comes up with a more convincing suggestion I think this is very likely the aircraft.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Honor unveils special edition Magic Watch 2 with artists and designers

Adobe CC buying guide: January deals, pricing, new features & free trials

The 29 best Apple Watch apps

Les meilleurs aspirateurs robots (2020)