Hot Topics

Question for the aircraft spotters

johndrew 14:29 04 Apr 2014
Answered

I have been attempting to identify an aircraft for a friend from a brass model he has. I accept the model may just be a 'figment' and have no bearing in reality but with luck it may resemble a true aircraft closely enough that some here may recognise it from the information below.

The aircraft is a twin engined, low winged monoplane. It has similarities in form to a Mosquito in that the canopy is raised above the fuselage, but the engines do not extend beyond the nose. The tail is similar to a Lancaster in that it has twin fins. There are no turrets indicated in any position. The engine nacelles have indications of oil cooler inlets at the front bottom (a crescent type inlet) and would indicate in-line engines rather than rotary; no propellers have been modelled. My guess from the scale is the aircraft would be a similar size to an Avro Anson.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

With thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 10:28 05 Apr 2014

Many thanks to all for responding.

I wish I had a photo as it may make things a bit clearer but unfortunately not.

The Me110 is a similar profile, but the cockpit on it is much longer and very square edged; it also has a gun position at the rear of the cockpit which accounts for the length. In addition to these points the air intakes for the oil coolers at the bottom of the nacelles are rectangular.

Both the Bristol Buckmaster and Brigand have radial engines and squarer cockpits so unless any were fitted with in-line engines and a modified cockpit they don't fit the profile but in other ways are very similar to the model.

The model has a shorter rounded cockpit, in-line engines and the air intakes for the oil coolers at the bottom of the nacelles are smooth crescent shaped.

Definitely not a gas turbine engined aircraft.

It is a pity that many manufacturers (and there have been a lot) produced aircraft with this type of profile - especially the twin finned tailplane - or it would be a simpler exercise to identify this one. Guess the only option is to keep looking. If I can get a photo of the model I will post it.

Thanks again for all your help.

sunnystaines 11:06 05 Apr 2014

what about dehaviland venom

sunnystaines 11:13 05 Apr 2014

is it listed here in these pics of ww2 era

sunnystaines 11:13 05 Apr 2014
  johndrew 13:45 05 Apr 2014

Thanks for coming back.

It seems I'm not being as clear as I thought I was. The aircraft doesn't have twin booms like the Lockheed Lightning P-38 (your link) or the Vampire or Venom; it has a twin fin such as the Avro Lancaster, Bristol Buckmaster and Brigand had.

Sorry if my description has been misleading.

sunnystaines 14:11 05 Apr 2014

john

another ist to look at

click here

onthelimit1 14:17 05 Apr 2014

SS - he said it DOESN'T have twin booms.

flycatcher1 14:52 05 Apr 2014

Aircraft recognition was mandatory for ATC cadets during, and after, WW2. It became second nature but my learning curve ended in 1960. During training at a Bomber conversion unit, at Scampton, we were tested on aircraft recognition and high marks were expected, some of the Gunners achieved 100%. At the first lecture we were told that the aircraft views would be flashed at 1/30 of a second impossible we thought so the Instructor flashed up a nude picture at the test speed. We all laughed so he made his point.

Never saw an enemy aircraft but heard a few and suffered from a few bombing attacks. Worst one was on a ship in Liverpool Docks after a double Atlantic crossing.

morddwyd 20:36 05 Apr 2014

Some versions of the 110 did have a gun at the rear of the cockpit, sorry I don't have a link, but the 110 is the best fit so far.

There was also a deathtrap used by the RAF at the beginning of the war which had a gun position there, but the name escapes me.

It was quickly withdrawn as losses were horrendous.

It was rumoured that German flight leaders would take out the gunner and then allow the younger pilots to practice their deflection shooting against a live target.

flycatcher1 22:01 05 Apr 2014

Morddwyd Fairly Battle , possibly the worst aircraft the RAF operated I any numbers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Huawei Mate Xs could’ve been the first great big-screen foldable

Doodler Jon Burgerman has a great body (of work!)

Apple Arcade ain't what it used to be

Test : le Yoga C740 de Lenovo