A question about using a car without insurance

  WhiteTruckMan 09:47 19 Oct 2008

I have in the past had occasion to use my father in laws car for some running about when any of our vehicles have been off the road for service, repais etc. However, at the moment it is stuck in his garage taxed and tested but with no insurance. The insurance ran out last week and he isnt renewing it just yet as he is recovering from a minor fracture so isnt driving. I'm not a named driver on his inurance, rather I have been driving on the clause on my own policy that permits me to drive any other vehicle not belonging to me with third party only cover provided I have the owners permission. However, will this still be legal?

I would have thought so, but I'm not sure, and insurance can be such a tricky buisness. Fo example: a few years ago my car expired so Mrs WTM got another car and I inherited her old clunker as my daily driver (dont ask!). I transferred my insurance to that vehicle and thought all was well until tax disc renewal time, when I couldnt renew as the registered keeper (my wife) didnt have insurance for the car. Had to change keeper to me, which annoyed me as there was only two on the car; now there are three.

So anyhow, does anyone haveany ideas about my problem?


  jolorna 10:00 19 Oct 2008

if the police were to do a nuber plate check on the car it would be pulled over for no insurance, but as to your question i can't answer that

  lofty29 10:14 19 Oct 2008

Any car has to have at least third party insurance, as well as any driver, if your fathers car does not have insurance then it should not be driven, think about it, it cannot be taxed if it does not have insurance cover, therefore it should not be on the road. If you were involved in an accident then the person you hit could not claim, even though you were insured on your own policy. If you were stopped by the police the car would be immediatly seizied by the police. As far as I know the only exception to this rule is car traders insurance.

  GANDALF <|:-)> 10:15 19 Oct 2008

In short, no. You are entitled to drive any other car, under 3rd party insurance ONLY if the car is already insured. many have found this out the expensive way. This is also to prevent scams where a father can buy a Subaru WRX and his 18yr. old son buys a micra, insures the Micra fully comp which would entitle him to drive the WRX for a fraction of the price.


  WhiteTruckMan 10:17 19 Oct 2008

-or worse. I had in mind passing under one of the banks of ANPR cameras they sometimes set up on motorway bridges. I dont know if they would send out an automatic NIP or merely a request for more information on the driver. In todays heavy handed world I suspect it would be a NIP..


  Quickbeam 11:26 19 Oct 2008

The car must haver all the relevant legal documents covering it specifically.

The only exception I'm aware of is when a car out of test is being taken for an MOT. To do this it must be prebooked with the garage, who must have the vehicle registration details in a booking system.

You are also allowed a road tax exemption to do this. However with the present system of ANPR cameras that seem to breed overnight, I would want a receipt of this booking incase I had to defend the untaxed travel to or from an appointed test centre.

  peter99co 11:41 19 Oct 2008

click here

Slightly different but relevant?

  spuds 11:45 19 Oct 2008

It seems as though we have a difference of opinions, and I think that it is a case of contacting your own insurance company about the policy that they have provided.

Recently I was in the market for a change of vehicle, and the vehicle on offer was taxed and had an MOT, but was no longer insured. My insurance company stated, that I was allowed to test drive the/any other vehicle under the third party risk of the comprehensive policy. This 'extra' cover would cease, if I purchased the/any other vehicle, and it became my property.I was to obtain the vehicles own cover, on purchase of the vehicle. The insurance company also made it clear, that if I was stopped by the police or a Ministry of Transport/DVLA road-check, then I was to give the insurance companies name and telephone number, so that confirmation of cover was and would be provided.

The exception to the rule, was that I would not be allowed to drive a vehicle that had been impounded, due to the previous driver having no insurance cover. This was not the case at one time, but the insurance companies on the main, have now introduced a clause into their policies about this.

So back to what I originally stated, go to your insurance provider, and ask if you are covered, and get the correct information.The rules would also be different if you had a Tradex or multi vehicle policy.

  lofty29 12:09 19 Oct 2008

I don't think there is a difference of opinion involved, WTM is talking about using an uninsured vehicle on a semi-regular basis, whereas you are talking obout a single special instance ie a test drive, having first obtained special cover from the insurance company.

  carver 12:41 19 Oct 2008

As the law stands at this time a car must be taxed/ tested and insured by the owner of the car for the car to be legally on the road, you can then drive it under your policy as long as your policy entitles you do do so.

Otherwise once you get out of the car it becomes uninsured.

Think about it, if you drive the car to location A, then get out, that car is then parked without any insurance documents.

  peter99co 12:45 19 Oct 2008

The insurance ran out last week.

Once you get out of the car it becomes uninsured.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S9 review

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 and 32 review – hands-on

When is the next Apple event?

Gmail : comment annuler l’envoi d’un e-mail ?