a question about power mowers v push mowers

realist 19:30 29 May 2017

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have only ever used a petrol push-along mower.

Now for various reasons and because I need other functions that come with a particular mower I am considering a power-driven mower.

What I need to find out is whether, with a power-driven mower, it is possible to use it like push mower i.e. simply go back and forth, if you don't engage the power drive? Do you have this option?

Teabag. 19:35 29 May 2017

Yes. If you do not engage the drive, belt,it is just a push mower.

csqwared 20:33 29 May 2017

albeit a damned heavy one - usually.

bumpkin 20:33 29 May 2017

Check it out when you choose the mower, I beleive some do and others not.

BT 08:43 30 May 2017

I have a powered petrol mower and I bought it because I was having difficulty pushing a mower due to my Sciatica. Now a couple of years on I tend to push it a lot of the time as I have trouble keeping up with the speed it goes at sometimes. Its not a variable speed drive, its either engaged or not with the clutch lever. Squeeze the lever it goes, release the lever it stops.

wee eddie 10:37 30 May 2017

BT, you must have bought a model that's unsuitable for you. Sell it after you have found one with suitable controls. There are many available

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Illustrator Amy Grimes on how setting up her own eco-brand led to success with clients too

MacBook Pro keyboard issues and other problems

Test : l’enceinte connectée HomePod d’Apple