Proof of identity, long birth certificate

bumpkin 21:47 09 Nov 2018

My son 34yrs started a new job (self employed ) as he has been for 10yrs plus. In order to pay him they require proof of identity which is reasonable and quite a normal thing. A passport or birth certificate would do normally both of which he has but his passport has expired so not acceptable. OK so a Birth Certificate which he has, the original one that was given to me . They now say that they require a “Long certificate” showing parents names, something never needed before. Can anyone here help clarify this situation or explain what to do as in the mean time he is working but not being paid under some kind of umbrella system which is something I no nothing about at all.

rdave13 00:36 10 Nov 2018

Your son has a 'copy' of his birth certificate which is not acceptable. If his local council will help, with kind words, then the local council might liaison with the Council that registered his birth and send the full birth certificate copy.

Matt Berry 02:00 10 Nov 2018

Welcome to Theresa May’s Hostile Environment Policy.

alanrwood 09:43 10 Nov 2018

Jobsworth again. Bring back Esther.

Brumas 10:22 10 Nov 2018

he has but his passport has expired so not acceptable. , forgive me for being naive but if he fulfilled the exacting criteria to obtain a passport - what has changed? In order to obtain the passport in the first place his identity was verified otherwise they would not have issued it!! He is still who he says he is for crying out loud!!

Forum Editor 10:49 10 Nov 2018

The full 'long' birth certificate has been required by law for the last ten years - the new rules were introduced in 2008, and are nothing to do with Theresa May, as was wrongly claimed by an earlier contributor.

The same rule is in force in America, and in several other countries. The requirement is because of the need to establish whether you have or had at least one parent who was born in the UK. It's to do with citizenship status and the right to work, and it makes sense.

You can get a certified copy of your birth certificate within ten days for £9.25, or it can be posted the next working day for £23.40

It will not come from your son's local authority, but from the National General Register service.

Matt Berry 10:52 10 Nov 2018

If working through a Umbrella Company they have a legal duty to vet all they're staff and confirm they have a legal right to work in this country.

However some Umbrella Companies seem to think if your passport is not valid that you are not entitled to work here and since 2012 they are pretty hot on it. Which we know is utter rubbish.

Simplest and quickest solution is to renew your Passport.

MJS WARLORD 11:01 10 Nov 2018

Hi bumpkin , as dave says if he sent a COPY of the birth certificate they will know , compare the copy at the side of the original , do they look the same , can you spot a difference , example …... I have a fork truck licence when I scanned it to send with a job application my printer did not scan/print the gold border round the edge. I am currently having a "big brother" battle with hs2 for compensation. My wife and I don't have photo driving licence and our passports have expired , my mum who lives a few doors away is always faced with the same problem. We send off claims forms with as much information as possible to prove we live where we say we do. "BIG BROTHER" returns the info saying correct information not sent.

Forum Editor 11:02 10 Nov 2018

"...since 2012 they are pretty hot on it. Which we know is utter rubbish."

It's actually commonsense, which is why other countries operate precisely the same policy. A valid passport would be accepted, but your son doesn't have one.

rdave13 11:08 10 Nov 2018

Forum Editor that's good to know. Years ago when I needed the full birth certificate to prove to the company, whom I'd worked for for 15 years, who I was, I had to go through the local authority to get it then. They were very helpful I must say.

oresome 12:33 10 Nov 2018

I once foolishly elected to receive Inland Revenue mail electronically.

It worked fine for a while until they tightened the security on their website and from that point on I have been unable to satisfy any of the third party companies who verify identities for them.

Strangely, the Inland Revenue have no difficulty in taxing me.

A recurring question asked by all the ID verifiers was which bank did I take out a current account with in 1958!

I was still in short trousers receiving 6d a week pocket money and my parents didn't have a pot to urinate in so bank accounts were not high on the agenda for any of us at that time.

PS

To this day I only have a short form birth certificate due to the stigma at the time of unmarried couples having children. Funny how times change.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Red Dead Online release date and gameplay news

Moving Brands on 20 years of bringing life to brands - and keeping their brand socially responsible

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques Bluetooth (2018)