Hot Topics

Product recall for Kill Weed 8610/D801

TopCat® 14:56 14 Jul 2015
Answered

I've recently had notification from my supplier of a serious safety issue with this product whereby it could catch fire. I am told to stop using it and instructions on how to return the item free of charge, and to issue a refund, will follow shortly.

I note that differently named models of what seems to be the exact same item are listed on eBay. See here: click here I would suggest that any members that have purchased one would query its safety before using it again. TC.

Forum Editor 18:28 16 Jul 2015

Thanks for the heads-up on this TC. I have not used one of these, but the potential for serious injury is always there with a hand-held device fuelled by a gas canister.

BT 18:49 16 Jul 2015

They used to make these fuelled with Paraffin. They worked like a giant blowlamp. Don't know if they are still available, but they certainly used to do the job.

Forum Editor 19:00 16 Jul 2015

BT I used one of those on many occasions, and can vividly remember the effect they had on anything which got in the way of the intense fiery blast. In essence they were giant blow-lamps - you had to pump them up.

TopCat® 19:53 16 Jul 2015
Answer

I think that maybe good fortune tended to smile on me earlier this year for I'd hung up my Kill Weed device from the garage rafters after its last use in 2014. This year I needed to get down my extendable ladder, also hung up near to it, and accidentally knocked the thing down. It fell onto the concrete floor where it broke off its gas on/off valve, so from then I was unable to use it !! Could be that incident saved me from a fiery end.:)

I received my free-post label today so the thing will returned to the supplier tomorrow. TC.

bumpkin 20:05 16 Jul 2015

I received my free-post label today so the thing will returned to the supplier tomorrow. TC.

So its at least a year old and you have broken it, I am surprised the supplier even sent you a freepost label.

BT 08:17 17 Jul 2015

Forum Editor

I seem to remember they got through about a gallon of paraffin an hour. My Dad hired one to clear the garden of a new house we moved to in the 60's. I think I went to the local hardware shop about 6 times that day with the Paraffin can. They certainly did the job though. I could do with one to attack the Brambles that are rapidly taking over the bottom of my garden

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 55U1 is the best new TV you can’t buy

How to get your first design job

What's the difference between macOS and iOS/iPadOS

iPhone 12 (2020) : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs