Prince Philip to step down from carrying out royal

Cymro. 11:38 04 May 2017

Yes yes I know he has done a marvelous job and at 90 something he deserves to retire but as far as I am concerned he is still a relic of a bygone age that should have come to an end years ago.

Belatucadrus 11:55 04 May 2017

a relic of a bygone age that should have come to an end years ago.

A tag that I'm sure da yoof of today would apply to most of us here. Depends who draws the dividing line separating relic and contemporary and what side of it you find yourself on.

Personally I'm not ready for the reliquary yet, nor I suspect is Phil who while stopping doing requests is apparently still going to turn up to events that appeal to him.

wee eddie 12:07 04 May 2017

Get rid of the Royals and you could end up with Trump

Belatucadrus 12:26 04 May 2017

The Americans do love their political dynasties: Bush, Kennedy, Clinton, Roosevelt.

Wouldn't want to bet against President Ivanka a few years down the line.

geoff96 13:25 04 May 2017

Cymro.

Who would you have as a figure head?

Charles and Camilla?

Or Presidents Blair, Brown or Cameron?

wee eddie 13:48 04 May 2017

Geoff ~ Wimp ~ We all know that what you really meant.

I knew her as a girl, even then she had a certain style and some very firm opinions. I am a fan. I think that she is the best thing that could have happened to HRH and has a matching social conscience.

Old Deuteronomy 15:21 04 May 2017

Old geezer decides to take it easy. Why all the fuss?

Govan1x 15:47 04 May 2017

Not many old geezer's work till they are 95 then continue to work part time.

Well done old boy.

Forum Editor 16:22 04 May 2017

So, on the one hand you say he has done a marvellous job, and deserves to retire, and on the other hand you say he is a relic of a bygone age that should have come to an end years ago.

Make your mind up - which is it to be?

x123 16:23 04 May 2017

"Well done old boy."

Ditto

At 96 he deserves to take things easier. The papers will miss his gaffs, as well as the public.

The sun, with its usual high standards of journalism, pronounced him dead this morning, and it spread across the world. Published on french and new Zealand media feeds.

Old Deuteronomy 17:08 04 May 2017

Just to be clear, I did not intend to criticise Prince Phillip, rather the over-the-top fuss made by the media.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

How to learn 3D modelling in Blender

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs jeux pour apprendre à coder