Is Press Freedom Threatened or Not?

morddwyd 09:22 14 Jul 2019

Is press freedom threatened by recent threats of prosecution, or do you believe, like me, that they are subject to the same laws as the rest of us, and if they break those they should go before a jury like the rest of s?

wee eddie 10:43 14 Jul 2019

Actually, we need protecting from Editors, whose blinkered view of the world is unable to foresee the consequences of their actions.

What the Editor should have done is to alert the FO of what they had received and discussed it with them. Maybe the Editor is a clueless Millennial

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:19 14 Jul 2019

The press have a lot to answer for.

Its scaremongering from the press that kept us in the depression so long and caused the pound to stay so low over Brexit henc our spinles politicians can't come to a decision after two years of wrangling.

Rant over delete if in appropriate :0)

Forum Editor 23:33 14 Jul 2019

"Is press freedom threatened by recent threats of prosecution...."

I very much doubt it.

My concern would be that if diplomats fear their candid comments to their employers about what they see and hear in the countries to which they are posted are likely to be leaked into the public domain they may become less likely to make the comments in the first place, and that would be a great shame.

Instead of prosecuting newspapers, security agencies might do better to work on ways to prevent the information from being leaked in the first place.

oresome 14:25 16 Jul 2019

It's a difficult balance.

We need a free press that can hold a government to account, particularly where they say one thing publicly and do something else behind the scenes.

On the other hand, exposing confidential documents that potentially damage our relationship with allies and can affect trade and security need very careful consideration beyond selling newsprint.

I expect a newspaper editor thinks along the lines of if we don't publish first, someone else will.

Quickbeam 07:01 17 Jul 2019

oresome

On the question of balance as you set it out above, I now take the view that as it was private communication of opinion between two high offices, and that there is no question of duping the electorate for political gain, I find that you have given me the evidence to now consider that it should be an offence to publish this kind of leak.

The motive of the leaker can only be of a vexatious nature against our own state, and not remotely in the public interest.

After all, what do we presume that the US ambassador has been saying about us for the last 3 years!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei given 90-day extension to trade with US companies

Ichijo Hikaru's riso print pop art is a celebration of the female body

New iPhone 11 (2019) release date, price & specs rumours

Les bons plans audio (2019)