Hot Topics

President Cummings stages a coup

john bunyan 09:45 28 Jun 2020
Answered

See Sedwill

It looks likely that Cummings will succeed in removing the head of the Civil Service, Sir Mark Sedwill.

Sedwill is a distinguished career Civil Servant- Cummings an appointed PR man.

alanrwood 09:50 28 Jun 2020

The link does not work for me. It takes me to a page saying to use Apple News which I don't have and don't really want

This is absolutely disgraceful and shows how weak Boris is that he can't or won't control his underling.

john bunyan 10:06 28 Jun 2020

Sorry; try this

Sedwill

Dunk 15:30 28 Jun 2020

The plan has always been to take power to a central 'clique' (ie Cummings and his dummy), they are simply achieving it under the cloak of end of lockdown. Tears before bedtime, I expect!

Forum Editor 17:47 28 Jun 2020

Mark Sedwill is a diplomat and foreign policy expert first and foremost, and it's kn own that he clashed with the Prime Minister over the COVID-19 policy - he's not really cut out for that kind of thing.

In fairness, I don't think Dominic Cuummings is the prime instigator here.

morddwyd 17:57 28 Jun 2020

Come on FE.

Boris wouldn't take a decision of this magnitude without Cummihgs' say so.

bremner 18:22 28 Jun 2020

Sidwell is stepping down from September

john bunyan 20:30 28 Jun 2020

FE

It seems very clear that “Advisors advise and politicians decide “ and Sedwill has been unfairly blamed for failings by No 10. Cummings has boasted of shaking up the Civil Service as has Gove- it looks like they are getting their way. Read this article - it gives an insight on Cummings power.

Sedwill

john bunyan 22:07 28 Jun 2020

Another link showing Cummings corrosive briefing against Sedwill

Huffpost

morddwyd 09:13 29 Jun 2020
Answer

With political appointees to the Civil Service we are getting more and more and more like the American model every day.

On balance I think I prefer the fictional Sir Humphrey scenario to the real life Richard Nixon one.

john bunyan 17:43 29 Jun 2020

*Morddwyd *

Totally agree

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy S20 Fan Edition: Rumoured specs, availability and more

“Drawing a comic is like directing a movie”: Cartoonist Chendi Xu on her European yarns

Apple Breakfast: iOS 14 public beta & iPhone 12 price rise

Offre exclusive : Windows 10 Pro à seulement 39,99 €