Poundland shares take a tumble as profits nosedive

oresome 17:03 19 Nov 2015

Are the public tiring of the fixed price discount stores?

There's not much of any quality that can be purchased for a pound anymore, if there ever was and this company is stuck with a price ceiling in it's present format.

Will they morph into the £1.25 shop?

The name doesn't have the same ring to it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:30 19 Nov 2015

Guinea shop next

Forum Editor 18:24 19 Nov 2015

"Are the public tiring of the fixed price discount stores?"

I doubt it. Poundland warned about this, and the business always does better in the second half of the year, thanks to Halloween and the festive season. It remains to be seen how much of the like for like sales it can recover.

spuds 00:31 20 Nov 2015

In my hometown city centre, there are two Poundland stores in very easy reach of each other, and they both always seem rather busy.

PoundWorld also have three nearby stores, two at the £1 range, the other with quite a number of items above the £1 range.So you have to be a little more careful, and watch the labelling, before making a purchase.

There are also two B&M stores, which seem to do very well, with their cheap to higher price range of items.

The 99p store vanished completely, and later opened up as an ordinary discount store, which as never really taken off, due the most items being the much higher price range.

So in all, a number of stores doing the same thing, within a short distance of each other. Now that's called competition, and I suppose, only the fittest with eventually survive!.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon slashes Echo Dot price to just £24.99 to kick off Black Friday

The 51 Best Free Typefaces Every Designer Should Have

Mac mini 2018 review

Les meilleurs écouteurs et casques audio (2018)