Hot Topics

Possible easing of restrictions from Monday?

Clapton is God 10:03 07 May 2020

Today's papers and the BBC website are reporting that any possible easing of lockdown, to be announced on Sunday, may include allowing people to sunbathe in parks.

And for those of us with a brain who have no interest in sunbathing in parks or anywhere else for that matter, what little nugget will we be offered?

Pine Man 10:23 07 May 2020

Yeah!

I can't wait to get my kit off in the local park.

It's about time it was legalised. I tried it last summer and got arrested;-)

Al94 10:26 07 May 2020

The press are doing what they do best, hype and unsubstantiated speculation. I suspect they are trying to force the government's hand without regard to the dangers of premature easing of "lockdown"

HondaMan 11:06 07 May 2020

The press are doing what they do best, hype and unsubstantiated speculation. I agree. I call it wishful thinking. The crisis is NOT over yet and lockdown should continue even more stringently than now. I see people going out daily, I know they are NOT key workers. They are out for most of the day and come back loaded with shopping.

Lockdown should mean just that. With a few minor exceptions no-one should be on the streets but everyday there are more and more.

Forum Editor 14:05 07 May 2020

"And for those of us with a brain who have no interest in sunbathing in parks or anywhere else for that matter"

What a very odd and arrogant attitude. I have a brain, and I love sunbathing. What on earth gives you the idea that people like you should be offered a nugget of anything because of your preference for keeping out of the sunlight?

Clapton is God 14:41 07 May 2020

Forum Editor

Because people like me prefer doing something useful with our valuable time (possibly away from the home) rather than simply lying around doing nothing and turning a strange shade of 'tan'.

wee eddie 14:59 07 May 2020

I can't, for the life of me, understand why anyone should want to just lie in the sun, when they could be playing cricket.

But I will defend, to the death, their right to do so!

john bunyan 15:13 07 May 2020

With a death toll the highest in Europe, testing nowhere near the 100000 daily promised, no vaccine nor “ cure”! In place , surely the only reason to ease the lockdown must be to allow more people to get the virus and get immunity for the survivors? This will mean that the ICU’s , that have been expanded, will cope with a second surge.

The economic case for some return is very strong but I see no evidence that it won’t create another surge of cases and deaths

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:58 07 May 2020

Agree with JB but unfortunately there a lot of idiots out there doing what the hell they like and just treating it like a holiday from work hence the bad figures.

2 mile queue for the newly opened KFC drive through in Doncaster yesterday with teenagers and young adults obviously not from the same family group sharing cars.

Unfortunately they aren't the ones really suffering the consequences when they have passed the virus on.

Rant over (for approx ten minutes)!

Condom 20:40 07 May 2020

The Sun and the vitamin D it provides our bodies with is an important aid to building up a healthy immune system especially in springtime after a long winter. Just be sensible in how you go about getting it during these times.

Forum Editor 10:40 08 May 2020

"...surely the only reason to ease the lockdown must be to allow more people to get the virus and get immunity for the survivors?"

The biggest reason for an easing of the lockdown is to allow as many people as possible to get back to work. We are facing a serious economic recession, and the sooner we start working our way forward the better.

Large numbers of us will become infected - that is unavoidable, but the vast majority will recover and get on with life. Large numbers of us have already been infected without knowing much about it. The truth is, we can't all hide away forever, or the country will be bankrupt - common-sense must prevail.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

1x1 pixel
Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixelbook Go review

All the Creative Live Streams that'll save 2020

Different Think: Apple, stop being so successful!

French Days 2020 : dates, sites participants & bons plans