Political Parties on Ballot Papers

BT 08:19 25 Aug 2014
Answered

Can anyone remember or know just when they started printing the Party that the Candidates represent on Ballot Papers.

I seem to remember that when I was first able to vote in the '60s there were only the Candidates names and printing their party allegiance only came about sometime in the '70s.

The reason I'm asking is because in the BBC Drama 'The Village' last night set in the 1920's the Ballot papers had the Parties printed under the Candidates names similar to today's Ballot Papers, and I don't think this is right.

The BBC are usually very good at historical accuracy but sometimes make glaring mistakes.

Forum Editor 08:28 25 Aug 2014
Answer

The answer to your question is 1969.

BT 08:31 25 Aug 2014

FE

Thanks for that, so I was right. Searched all over trying to find it.

BT 08:41 25 Aug 2014

Apparently the Milking machine had a Villiers engine which dates from the 40's/50's - OOPS!

BillSers 08:58 25 Aug 2014

When I voted in the EU elections this year I wanted to know before polling day the list of prospective candidates. But could I find out? So on polling day I had a sheet of paper with about 20 nominees and several of all the numerous parties had similar sounding names, so I made a mistake (soon rectified). But I would like to make an informed choice before picking up the voting form and voting.

spuds 11:38 25 Aug 2014

I don't know how much this will effect ballot papers in the future, but in my area there have been recent boundry changes, which might make past candidates who held 'safe' seats in one area, move to another area, with perhaps no guarantees of being re-elected?.

I suspect this will lead to challenges for some people and future candidates?.

BT 12:37 25 Aug 2014

BillSers

If you get a Postal Vote you get the Ballot Paper a week or so before Polling day so can study it at your leisure.

BillSers 08:40 26 Aug 2014

I think Google isn't my friend anymore because when I searched extensively for a list of candidates I got zilch. Thanks for the heads up.

flycatcher1 20:35 26 Aug 2014

In 1964 my wife and I went to vote at a Polling Station near Doncaster. The seat was the Don Valley which I seem to remember normally had the highest Labour majority in the country. On the way up some steps a woman rushed up to my wife and asked who the Labour Candidate was. Luckily for her we knew.

BT 08:01 27 Aug 2014

On the way up some steps a woman rushed up to my wife and asked who the Labour Candidate was. Luckily for her we knew.

In those days you obviously had to know WHO you wanted to vote for and which party they represented. Most people in those days and before traditionally voted the way their parents voted and some still do today, but I think these days people do to some extent make up their own minds rather than voting in the family tradition. Its a pity that turnouts at elections have steadily fallen over the years from 83% in 1950 with a slow decline till 1997 then a dramatic fall after that with less than 60% in the 2001 election.

General Election Turnouts

spuds 10:52 27 Aug 2014

I recall in those far off days, street marches, posters in windows, vehicles driving around on voting day 'broadcasting' from loudspeakers. It even included political party supporter's and actual candidates knocking on doors.

Nowadays in the IT era, things have changed considerably. only recently there was the Euro elections, with its whistle-stop visits to certain locations by the candidates. if you missed that, then the likelihood of speaking to the candidate was nil, unless you sent an email to the regional office.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Samsung Galaxy Book 2: Release date, price and specs

This First Man soundtrack vinyl cover art is exquisitely composed

How to watch Apple’s October 2018 iPad launch

Meilleurs VPN (2018)