Playing Dvd Games

Rosey19690 12:16 28 Nov 2004

I seem to have problems running dvd based games (runs slowly). I run windows XP with an Athlon Xp2800 / 1 gig of ddr ram / FX700le 256mb Graphics / Audigy sound card / motherboard = Asus deluxe.
I might be missing something obvious but Cd rom based games run superb but some of the latest games like Farcry / Nam / Medal of Honour pacific assault all run slowly - Any help would be great.

gudgulf 15:56 28 Nov 2004

Depends what you mean by run slowly.Your graphics card is at the low end of the performance spectrum so if you mean that the gameplay is jerky then you could try playing at low resolution and low detail settings.If you mean that the games seem to take an age to load at the start of the game and between levels then there is nothing you can do.All the games you mention are highly demanding of your hardware and need to load large amounts of information into memory in order to run, hence slow loading times.They also challenge all but the most expensive (GFx6800/ATIx800 series for example) video cards so a more modest card like yours will struggle even though the rest of your system is well specified.

Incidentally the fact that the games you mention are on DVD is irrelevent..these games fully install to your hard drive and the disc is needed for product validation only so it wont matter whether it is on cd or DVD.

Mr Mistoffelees 17:11 29 Nov 2004

I think Gudgulf is right. Your only solution if you want to play the latest games is to splash out on a new high powered graphics card.

joesoaps 21:28 29 Nov 2004

I have that card and it plays all the latest games(Far Cry,Doom 3,Half Life 2 etc)without any problems even on high resolution on a very similar spec pc.

Just thought you would like to know.

joesoaps 21:30 29 Nov 2004

That should be FX5700le

Rosey19690 07:14 30 Nov 2004

Hi, could it be the ram ( mine is Pc 2100 ddr )
I have also been told it could be the graphics card driver (may need a newer version) any help would be appreciated.

gudgulf 12:51 30 Nov 2004

It might be helpful to Rosey19690 if you give her the settings you use as a base line.However have a look at click here
The fx700le, if this is the card Rosey19690 has seems to be more comparable with the GFx5200 series.This *will* struggle with some of the more demanding games.

Having completed Farcry on an ATI9600 pro at reasonably high settings I agree that a GFx5700 should do the same.I changed that for a GFx5800 which was much faster but still not capable of the highest settings(would play Doom3 at 1064x768 on hig detail for example)Having now upgraded to an x800xt I now have a better basis on which to judge...for example I get just about playable frame rates with everything set to maximum and my old cards would definitely slow down well before these settings.

Rosey19690

For NVidia drivers click here

Whilst your ram is not the fastest available it shouldn't be too much of a bottleneck to running these games,especially since you have 1Gb to play with.

Try the new drivers and experiment with the graphics settings.Start on the lowest resolution/detail level and work up from there to find the best setting.If you are still having problems even at the lowest settings post back.

gudgulf 14:39 30 Nov 2004

click here

From a review of the GeForce 5700le which gives an idea of the sort of frame rates you can expect with Farcry and Doom3.Also click here for a more general review of current graphics cards(yours will fall between the Gfx5200u and Gfx5600 although not mentioned specifically) which will show you what to expect from your card compared to others on the market.

This is why I suggest that you graphics card is underpowered for these games(hence slow).A minimum frame rate ot 30fps is generally reckoned to be necessary for smooth game play.That does not mean that you can't play the games with less.

Some things to try to get the best performance from your current set-up.Scan for adware/spyware with Adaware and SpybotS&D,clear put any junk files and temporary files with something like CrapCleaner click here and then defragment your harddrive.You don't mention how big your drive is but make sure you have plenty of free space remaining as well.This might help a bit but you are ultimately limited by your graphics card.

Sorry to be such a killjoy!

joesoaps 16:19 30 Nov 2004

Apologies,I misread your post,if your card is the FX700le that is a completely different animal to the FX5700le,I really should read properly before typing.
To refer back to your origional question gudgulf is correct,there should be no difference between cd and dvd games and as gudgulf rightly says the rest of your system should be fine.
as regards Far Cry there is a problem with this game and nVidia graphics cards click here but this would not affect other games.

If it's just dvd games that run slowly could their be a problem with your dvd player/drivers perhaps you should post this in the helproom where there are forum members better able to solve your problem.

Rosey19690 16:44 30 Nov 2004

Hi, thanks for you detailed input - I am considering changing my current graphics card but as I cannot afford either X800XT or the 6800gt which are in the £280 - £320 figures, what would you recomend (up to £200). I have been offered a FX900 Ultra 256mb for £200 and a 6800gt 256mb for £130 (but I think this one is a bit suspect) or could you recomend another ?

Rosey19690 16:44 30 Nov 2004

Hi, thanks for you detailed input - I am considering changing my current graphics card but as I cannot afford either X800XT or the 6800gt which are in the £280 - £320 figures, what would you recomend (up to £200). I have been offered a FX900 Ultra 256mb for £200 and a 6800gt 256mb for £130 (but I think this one is a bit suspect) or could you recomend another ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Radeon Adrenalin release date, new features, compatible graphics cards

Turn a photo into 16-bit pixel art

iMac Pro release date, UK price & specs

Football : comment regarder la Ligue 1 en direct ?