Perhaps some people should check a few facts

Forum Editor 13:36 06 Jun 2018

before spouting off about matters they quite obviously know very little about.

Gary was a great footballer, and he isn't a bad sports presenter, but when it comes to comparing corruption in the UK with what goes on in Russia he hasn't a clue.

Mind you, the fact that he was paid a reported £20,000 to present the FIFA world cup draw from the Kremlin Palace in Moscow might have the teensiest bearing on his feelings towards his hosts.

Engage brain before operating mouth in future, Gary.

wee eddie 13:58 06 Jun 2018

Perhaps he has sat on a Remuneration Committee!

mikef. 15:52 06 Jun 2018

The bloke is an unmitigated idiot

Forum Editor 17:17 06 Jun 2018

mikef.

I think you put it very well.

chub_tor 15:29 07 Jun 2018

As Jean Simson said in the Daily Mail letters page today, "The only time Gary Lineker should open his mouth is when he's putting a crisp in it."

Cymro. 16:08 07 Jun 2018

I don't suppose the work he does advertising crisps has made his reputation any good.

natdoor 20:15 07 Jun 2018

I have only seen the one page in FE's post relating to his statement. Surely he is just making the point that Russia are hosting the event and, in order to make it a success, guests should respect the host's efforts and accept their hospitality. His point about corruption in the UK is surely to state that no nation is perfect and recognising this should should enable guests to set aside concerns about the behaviour of the Russian government for the duration of their stay. I see absolutely no justification for the headline which states that he said we were as corrupt as Russia. Judge not that ye be not judged.

Pine Man 11:35 08 Jun 2018

I have now read all of the newspaper articles and a transcript of what he actually said and I'm with natdoor on this. The headlines suggest that he said we are as corrupt as Russia, which couldn't be further from the truth.

If we were to pull out of all sporting events that take place in countries that don't have corruption of some sort there would be no away games for our national football team, for example.

There have been instances in recent years of corruption in British football and many other sports so who are we to throw stones at others?

Forum Editor 10:48 09 Jun 2018

natdoor

"His point about corruption in the UK is surely to state that no nation is perfect and recognising this should should enable guests to set aside concerns about the behaviour of the Russian government for the duration of their stay."

It's worth setting the record straight by quoting Gary Lineker's words - this Here are two direct quotations from the interview:

*"Who are we to start getting judgmental on who should have the World Cup?" "We all know how corrupt our country is at times".*

It's unfortunate that Lineker chose to question other peoples' right to be as judgmental as they like when it comes to Russia's reputation for deep-rooted corruption, and the Russian government's appalling Human Rights record. His comment implies that we all know how corrupt our own country is at times, is ludicrous in its implication that there is any parallel between the levels of corruption in this country and in Russia.

Implying something is often as good as saying it, and whether Gary Linkeker intended to do it or not, he should certainly not have been crass enough to have made the comparison in an on the record interview. He is a TV presenter, not a politician, and when he's being interviewed for a TV magazine he should keep his personal (and apparently uninformed) views to himself.

Putin's Russian administration is about as corrupt as it can get. The evidence is there, for anyone with any commonsense to see. Implying that people should not criticise it because of corruption in our own country is both naive and offensive. Gary should stick to sports presenting, and leave the political commentary to people who know what they're talking about.

bumpkin 10:28 10 Jun 2018

Gary should stick to sports presenting, and leave the political commentary to people who know what they're talking about.

I think that sums it all up very well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Google Pixel Slate review

Brian Cox-branded beer brings Big Bang beauty to bottles

New Apple Products 2019: Predicting the new Apple products coming soon

Comment jouer à des jeux de PS2 et PS3 sur PS4 ?