Hot Topics

A perfect illustration of the shrinking world

Forum Editor 14:38 25 Feb 2017

is this.

Moving a piece of kit this size is a challenge at the best of times. Moving it about 11,000 nautical miles without dropping it over the side must be a frightening prospect.

Forum Editor 08:38 26 Feb 2017

Southern born

I didn't suggest that oil rigs are never moved by semi-submersible vessels. I was simply pointing out that this rig was coming from China to the North sea.

That has never been done before. My 'shrinking world' comment relates to the fact that, until recently, China would not have contemplated doing something like this.

Cymro. 12:05 26 Feb 2017

My 'shrinking world' comment relates to the fact that, until recently, China would not have contemplated doing something like this.

I don't wish to go off subject but has any country ever progressed as much and as quickly as China has done in the last couple of decades?

Forum Editor 13:57 26 Feb 2017

Cymro.

"...has any country ever progressed as much and as quickly as China has done in the last couple of decades?"

Some years ago, when I was regularly visiting and working in Hong Kong and mainland China, I saw it happening. Things really got going in the mid 1980s, when the Chinese government began to allow businesses to retain profits and establish their own wage structures.

This single policy resulted in workers migrating from the countryside to the industrialised cities in search of higher wages. The resulting increased productivity and export sales boosted GDP to 9.4% by 2012.

Now, China has the second largest economy in the world, and although growth rates have slowed recently experts are still forecasting a GDP growth rate of around 7% over the next five years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi 10 Launches Globally: Price, Release Date, Specs and more

Best Free, Deep Discounted tools for artists and designers 2020

How to get Apple's Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro free

Qwant moteur de recherche par défaut sur les derniers Huawei