A Penny for Your Thoughts

oresome 17:53 13 Mar 2018

The Treasury is priming us for the abolition of 1p and 2p coins.

What do you think? Glad to get rid as they have little value or an inflationary excuse for retailers.

click here

Aitchbee 18:18 13 Mar 2018

I remember the days when it was the custom to throw handfuls of coins from the wedding car as it left for the marriage service and there was a frenzied scramble to pick up the money from the road or pavement. [Long time ago].

Now, if I carelessly drop a 5p or 20p from my pocket ... I invariably leave it for some lucky person to retrieve it.

Toffs are careless ;o]

Quickbeam 18:20 13 Mar 2018

Coppers are charity tin money in my mind, I don't pocket them.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:47 13 Mar 2018

Yes charities will suffer as a lot of people put their coppers and 5ps in the boxes rather than lug it around.

john bunyan 20:31 13 Mar 2018

In my life I have seen the farthing and halfpenny go, quite apart from the pre decimal currency; now the (new) penny and twopence may go. I suppose in older tomes others rued the loss of the groat! Maybe in my grandchildren's life, coinage and even notes will be abolished in favour of plastic cards?

bumpkin 21:34 13 Mar 2018

Yes, get rid of them. Could affect the motor trade though with charities have less to spend on BMWs.

LastChip 21:45 13 Mar 2018

Any full unit of currency shouldn't disappear in my opinion. A halfpenny and farthing were less than a full unit, so I think they were not only valueless, but disposable.

Whether they are used or not, remains subject to all the businesses in the UK and how they decide to price their products.

As the country is moving away from cash and more and more towards card payments, it makes little difference to a computer whether the price is £9.95, £9.99 or £10.00.

As far as producing coins is concerned, you simple produce the amount required.

Archie44 23:01 13 Mar 2018

how will the little ones learn to count with coins

Quickbeam 06:44 14 Mar 2018

Another way of looking at this is that the 5p coin is .5 of the 10p unit. In time the 5p will also become of such a low value that we will round it up to 10p.

Most of those that wish to keep the small value coins are probably older than 70 and can remember what pocketful goodies you could buy with them!

We already successfully round up the prices of fuel at the pump which are invariably price displayed to £0.001 that we can't pay exactly.

Quickbeam 06:47 14 Mar 2018

...and supermarkets would only add the total up the same as a spread sheet does taking all the odd pennies into account but unseen, and only rounding the final tally up or down to the nearest 5p.

Quickbeam 06:56 14 Mar 2018

When I've done private hire work in the past, and for say, a £5.30 fare, the odd punter would get a tenner out and then say have you got a straight fiver, I've got the odd 30p. You then deduce from the long rummaging and jangling of coins that they're scratting around for 30p in a copper coin clearout, at which point they don't notice me getting the £4.70 ready that drops into there hand extended ready to drop the 30p worth of copper into mine...

The look on their face is priceless every time!

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

Iglooghost's hyper new music video gives a mutant take on Monument Valley

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Comment ajouter de la musique à une présentation Google Slides ?