PCs infected everywhere

recap 09:31 01 Nov 2004

AOL in conjunction with the National Cyber Security Alliance (NCSA) have recently conducted a study into online safety. Results from the survey are quite worrying in terms of the naivety and lack of knowledge with regards to online safety.

Some of the results from those surveyed include:

Up to 213 viruses present per computer. Nearly 30 per cent of users updated their virus definitions less than 13 times a year 90 per cent of computer users did not understand what spy ware actually does.

The study entitled AOL/NCSA Online Safety Study can be downloaded in PDF format from the NCSA website. click here

Quite a lot of people say it is irresponsible not to keep up to date with an anti virus program.

What are your thoughts on this subject?

recap 10:15 01 Nov 2004

I agree with you g0slp, it should not be left up to the ISP.

I know some ISP's are promoting the security side of their product, but they cannot cover every eventuality. This is why I think it is important for the individual to protect their own system/s.

I recently visited an IT centre which has 15 computers for their local communty to use freely (an average of 250+ users per week). The only protection they have is an anti virus program that WAS only updated once per week on a Monday morning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Huawei Mate 20 Pro review: In-depth hands-on

See concept art from groundbreaking video games including The Last of Us, Journey and No Man's Sky

iPhone XR release date, price & specs

Les meilleurs VPN pour Kodi (2018)