pcadvisor.co.uk is moving to techadvisor.co.uk

Neil-Bennett-IDG 10:18 20 Jun 2017

Hi all,

Later on today, the site will be moving to a new URL that more accurately reflects what we do. There should be minimal disruption and any bookmarks you've got to pcadvisor.co.uk will still work. But if you spot anything that's not working for you, please let us know.

Nothing else is changing on the site – and to all intents and purposes we've been Tech Advisor for a while now. Even our homepage has had the Tech Advisor logo on it since the beginning of the year, as so much of what we do fits into the broader category of 'tech' rather than being specifically about PCs.

In case you're interested, here's a more detailed description of what's behind the change.

Tech Advisor began back in 1995 as a magazine called PC Advisor – when tech meant PCs and their associated peripherals. Mobile phones were rare, the internet was text-adventure dungeons and student networks and VR was something only found in cyberpunk novels and The Lawnmower Man. In 2000, pcadvisor.co.uk launched, providing instant access to stories on everything from laptops and printers to the Love Letter worm and the predicted boom in internet shopping (including the rise and fall of Boo.com).

Over the next 17 years, the world of tech expanded. PCs and the internet went mainstream, and phones and tablets superseded PCs (though laptops are becoming more popular than tablets again). And our readership grew to over 13 million people reading over 27 million stories per month (thats 13 million unique users and 27 million page views in industry-speak).

One thing didn't change though – our commitment to providing independent advice in plain English. But software became apps. TVs and watches became smarter than your old PC. Some fads appeared and quickly died – Google Glass and hoverboards. Some, like Fitbits and the like, stuck around. And some – like VR and smartwatches – are still in a space of uncertainty as to whether they'll go mainstream.

In light of this, PC Advisor became Tech Advisor – but for technical reasons remained at pcadvisor.co.uk. PC Advisor still exists as a part of Tech Advisor. We still publish just as many stories, reviews, group tests, how-tos about laptops, desktops, PC games and software and peripherals as we did before – and you still see the PC Advisor logo on those page as we know readers who've been following that brand for many years know and trust it. But we do – and are trusted for – so much more now.

But – because having Tech Advisor hosted at pcadvisor.co.uk is, frankly, a bit weird – the move to techadvisor.co.uk is happening.

Moving 110,000 stories to a new URL – with everything working, including making sure that links to stories on pcadvisor.co.uk redirect automatically to the same story on techadvisor.co.uk – is a mammoth task. Moving the site while we're constantly updating and adding new reviews, group tests, advice and explainers adds another level of complexity. And then there's the no-small-task of doing so while retaining our reputation with search engines – which is how many readers find us, as we help you to find the right product, app or service for your needs.

Thanks

Neil

Neil Bennett, Head of experience design, IDG

x123 11:48 20 Jun 2017

Usual bookmark says site is down.

Thought something was in the air when they dropped the mag.

x123 11:49 20 Jun 2017

Shame there was no warning, or was there?

Govan1x 13:01 20 Jun 2017

Site was down but obviously working again so lets see who is first to spot any differences.

Well so far no changes but maybe later on.

wee eddie 13:27 20 Jun 2017

Ayr, suddenly we'll all stop talking mince!

Forum Editor 18:05 20 Jun 2017

"Shame there was no warning, or was there?"

I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't know it was going to be today, so apologies from me for not letting you know in advance.

All is well, however, and the forums will continue to work as before. As Neil has explained, it is no mean task, moving huge amounts of content to a new url, and credit is due to the people who handled it.

Those of you who, like me, have been using the site for over sixteen years now have seen lots of changes, but none as major as this one. Roll on the next sixteen years!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:26 20 Jun 2017

So that's why I had to log in again before being able to post.

other than that not noticed any other problems today.

Govan1x 20:35 20 Jun 2017

You have to remove PC Advisor if you have it in Firefox Passwords. Replace it with click here then reboot and sign in. This time it will ask if you want to save the password. Job Done.

Should be the same on most browsers i would imagine.

Old Deuteronomy 20:37 20 Jun 2017

From my point of view it has all gone smoothly so far and the only glitch was the need to manually log in this evening.

Govan1x 21:01 20 Jun 2017

You will probably have to log in all the time till you remove the password from the browser. Rebot the browser then sign in again and this time it should ask if you want it to save your username and password.

Found my first spammer on the new system to night so ready for the others that may try.

morddwyd 22:14 20 Jun 2017

I might not be posting for a while as my firewall sees this as a phishing site and won't even let me contact the FE.

This "emergency" post has taken an over an hour and a half, so I've got some major digging to do!

The font seems to have changed, and it has caused me some difficulty with my ongoing sight problems. I've had to change my settings.

Any chance you could take a look at it please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Amazon Prime Day 2018: Best Deals & Launches

The Huawei P20 Pro is the best phone for artists, designers and photographers

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

TV & Streaming : comment regarder la Supercoupe d’Espagne ?