PC DOA.What could have happened?

rickf 15:23 07 Apr 2018

I built a PC and tested it for a week to ensure all is well and running. Sent it to my son in Europe and it was DOA? Wouldn't power up as if no current is going through. Could components have been killed by scanning processes in transit? Apparently no cables had come loose inside. Any ideas??

wee eddie 16:03 07 Apr 2018

Cables/Cards don't need to be physically disconnected. Just shifted.

I suggest he re-seat every Connection and Card

bumpkin 17:02 07 Apr 2018

I assume it is set to the right voltage.

rdave13 19:24 07 Apr 2018

Voltages should be the same. Sometimes the power cable from the mains to the PCU needs to be pushed in firmly in the PCU's socket at the rear of the PC for a connection.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:36 07 Apr 2018

power switch on rear of PSU?

Govan1x 19:36 07 Apr 2018

Just in case you switched the power off at the back of the computer has your son switched it back on.

Yup have done that before.

bumpkin 21:08 07 Apr 2018

My mistake, I thought it was 110v for some reason sorry.

rickf 22:42 07 Apr 2018

Thanks for all the ideas. Did all those and still dead. Really if scanning could have killed it.

Forum Editor 22:51 07 Apr 2018

"Could components have been killed by scanning processes in transit?"

It's highly unlikely - hundreds of thousands of computers pass through airport scanners every day without any ill effects.

rickf 13:19 08 Apr 2018

What ever happened maybe the M/B just died in transit. I am sending another one soon. Let's see.

Govan1x 14:56 08 Apr 2018

Take it he has checked the fuse in the Plug is ok. is there an easy way for him to check if the power is actually getting into the PC.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

How to create explosive dance music graphics

When is the best time to buy an iPhone?

Quel antivirus gratuit choisir pour un PC ?