PC Advisor News

ArrGee 21:57 24 Jun 2007

Why is it that the home page of PC Advisor (i.e; News) provides us with grand editorial features on new products/events/blurb, but fails to provide any decent links?

As an example, today's feature on the Sony Vaio RM1N bangs on about how it's clad in black and other lah-de-dah aspects, but I have to resort to Google to find any further info.

If it's an advertising issue, perhaps the ad director (at PC Advisor) can allow for a pic of any product with a payed click-through for revenue...? I'm sure that would enhance the user experience for the site as well as providing an added income stream.

anskyber 22:23 24 Jun 2007

Yes, I looked for the link and I could not find it.

To be fair PCA usually link through, it's an example of the exception proving the rule.

ArrGee 22:34 24 Jun 2007

I have to disagree with you on that (sorry). Having been here for over a year, there have been very few occasions where a link has been provided.

Given that the home page is updated around 4 times a week, I have only come across half-a-dozen occasions where there is a clear link through. (Emphasis on 'clear').

ArrGee 22:38 24 Jun 2007

Just as a side note, I have recommended this site to many friends of mine for advice (so they stop asking for help from me for the price of a pint!).

They too have encountered the same problem and stopped coming back.

anskyber 09:00 25 Jun 2007

OK. Obviously our experiences have been different. I have found that when a product is reviewed there is often a link through.

Looking at this click here as an example, clicking on the full review takes you to more information and top right, to a link for the manufacturer. Sometimes there is a link to a retailer.

I agree, it would be helpful if the link was plainer and in the text of the news item.

paul trotter 09:26 25 Jun 2007

ArrGee

Thanks for the feedback - the missing link to the Sony Vaio RM1N was an oversight on our part. I've added a link this morning.

This is something we've been pushing over the past few months. I think we've been fairly good with links - both to PC Advisor articles and other sites. However, we'll keep pushing it.

Paul Trotter, editor

ArrGee 09:28 25 Jun 2007

Many thanks Paul.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Dell XPS 13 9370 (2018) review

The art of 'British' pulp fiction

Best password managers for Mac

TV & streaming : comment regarder le Tournoi des Six Nations 2018 ?