Is PayPal now too expensive for sellers?

LastChip 22:02 14 Mar 2018
Answered

I've been notified today that buyers will pay the Personal Transaction fee which amounts to £1.99 and as I read it, plus 3.4% of the total price.

That's very expensive for low value items don't you think? Actually, 3.4% is a pretty high charge whatever the value.

Keeping in mind, these are fully automated systems, personnel costs would be minimal.

LastChip 09:19 16 Mar 2018

OK, to clarify - the charge is solely for the seller. The point I was making, is if you are selling "cheap" items, the £1.99 charge + the commission, makes it an expensive transaction. And as rickf said, you then have to factor in ebays commission.

However, as Simsy says, I think I have misinterpreted the changes and the £1.99 does indeed apply to out of country sales.

You can find the new terms here. It's about half way down the page.

Please may I apologise for misinformation.

Forum Editor 09:33 16 Mar 2018

Thanks for the clarification. Confusion is understandable.

BT 17:56 16 Mar 2018

I've never had a need to use PayPal. I've used GooglePay a couple of times but normally find that I can use a Credit Card for anything I buy.

I get the occasional dodgy email saying that my PayPal account has been suspended due to 'Unusual Activity'. Hardly likely as I don't have one.

bumpkin 22:20 16 Mar 2018

I had an Amex (American Express) card many years back but as they kept increasing their charges to the seller, fewer and fewer outlets would accept it so I stopped using it. Surely they realise that there is strong competition for this kind of service.

Quickbeam 06:42 17 Mar 2018

I use PayPal to collect my mountain bike club's annual subs.

The pay me page is set up as a friends and family payment which incurs no fee except for a few that have a credit card listed as their source of funds. We just absorb those few as running costs to the club rather that request a greater subscription.

LastChip 12:46 30 Mar 2018

I thought members may like a practical example of the present costs involved for low cost items.

I sold an item recently for £2.99 + £4.00 postage - total £6.99.

The commission charge from ebay was 70p + another 44p from PayPal. It appears ebay charge you commission on postage as well as the item.

Given the actual postage cost was £3.95 + a bit of packing + going to the post office to send it to the buyer, my actual return was (at best, not factoring time and travel) £1.85p.

In other words, the direct transaction costs were 38.127%.

I won't bother again! I'd rather give it to a charity shop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Razer Blade Pro 17 review

Best Graphic Design Books

HomePod 2, HomePod mini release date, rumours, price & specs

iPhone 2019 : date de sortie, prix et autres rumeurs