Is PayPal now too expensive for sellers?

LastChip 22:02 14 Mar 2018
Answered

I've been notified today that buyers will pay the Personal Transaction fee which amounts to £1.99 and as I read it, plus 3.4% of the total price.

That's very expensive for low value items don't you think? Actually, 3.4% is a pretty high charge whatever the value.

Keeping in mind, these are fully automated systems, personnel costs would be minimal.

rickf 22:14 14 Mar 2018

Add 10% which eBay charges and the whole thing becomes nonviable.

Old Deuteronomy 16:14 15 Mar 2018

LastChip, who sent you the email and can you paste the text here please?

Current Paypal fee structure, (Paypal website).

bumpkin 19:53 15 Mar 2018

I've been notified today that buyers will pay the Personal Transaction fee

I thought the sellers paid the charges as with other cards, if I as a buyer have to pay it I will not use this method.

wee eddie 20:42 15 Mar 2018

In the days when we all paid cash, the Owner of the Business added a little to the price, to cover the cost of Cashing-up and of Security, while taking the money to the Bank. They just didn't tell you.

Get over it. If the total cost of the transaction is too high, don't buy. If the price is right the Seller has made a Sale

bumpkin 21:46 15 Mar 2018

If the total cost of the transaction is too high, don't buy. If the price is right the Seller has made a Sale

It is the bottom line that counts nothing else.

bumpkin 21:53 15 Mar 2018

I was teetering on the verge of buying something for £2,000 so phoned them to maybe make an offer only to be told it was plus VAT. Killed that stone dead.

Brumas 22:12 15 Mar 2018

I hope this will shed some light on the subject.

My wife, Fran uses PayPal all the time so she contacted PayPal regarding this, and this is the reply she received:

**Thank you for contacting PayPal Customer Support. I know how important this is for you. Let me clarify this for you today. In regards to that, we do not have any information passed on to us yet that there will be a Personal Transaction Fee of £1.99 GBP. If in case you will be receiving an email notification about this fee, kindly forward it to us so we can check the validity of the email.**

Simsy 22:58 15 Mar 2018
Answer

I had this email today as well... and it was addressed to me personally, and wasn't asking for any details. I'm pretty sure it's for real...

However, I think folk here has mis-interpreted what it's saying...

From their website; 1">[click here free to use PayPal to buy something unless it involves a currency conversion*." and

"**It’s free to use PayPal to send or receive money between friends and family in the UK, as long as the payment is funded by a bank account, debit card or PayPal balance, and no currency conversion is involved. If you fund the payment using a credit card, send money in a different currency or make an international transfer, we charge you, the sender, a small fee. A currency conversion fee may also apply**."

So there has been a change, but if you're buying something, for example on eBay, there is no charge to the buyer.

Regards,

Simsy

1]: [click here

"*It’s

Simsy 22:59 15 Mar 2018

Whoops... something odd happened with formatting there...

I hope that makes sense to you all though?

Regards, Simsy

Forum Editor 08:46 16 Mar 2018

This is what the PayPal website says:-

"There’s no fee to use PayPal to purchase goods or services......There is a fee when you send a payment to someone in another country or if you receive a payment from someone in another country. The PayPal user agreement has specific information."

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Microsoft Surface Book 2 15in review

The humble pint glass is redesigned from bottoms up by design legend Sir Kenneth Grange

The best Amazon Prime Day Apple deals 2018

Les meilleures coques pour iPhone X (2018)