Hot Topics

Pastures New

morddwyd 09:51 30 May 2012

I think the time has come to seek pastures new. I am not a great believer in the grand good bye, but I have made too many friends here to want to disappear without a word.

I have been fairly relaxed about having threads locked in the past but to have a lighthearted, totally inoffensive thread locked (Leverkusen) because it is "pointless" has convinced me that the forum is moving in a direction I don't want to go and it is time to move on.

Life's too short to worrry about whether the thread I am about to start has a point or is just a bit of meandering for fun.

There is nothing in the forum rules about threads having to have a point, and any such rule would be difficult to deduce from some of the threads, or individual postings, we have seen!

However, there is something in the rules about the Forum Editor's decision being final, and as Peter says, there is no way of doing it inoffensively, and that is just how I have found it, offensive, and since there there is no appeal I shall go.

Thank you all for your company,your help and your support when I have needed it over the last few years.

I shall miss each and every one of you.

I wish you all the best in the future, perhaps our paths will cross agin elswewhere.

I shal still be lurking, particularly in the Helptoom where my posts might have some point, and around 9.15 on a Friday night for another lighthearted diversion, but rather than give, or take, further offemce I think I must knock it on the head.

Al94 15:44 30 May 2012

Stick around, you'll get over it - but it's your decision at the end of the day.

I agree there was no need to lock your thread with a response of that nature.

sunnystaines 16:43 30 May 2012

morddwyd justs needs a little pointing in the right direction to continue as normal, if the post is pointless and locked so what it may well be good to read while it lasts.

Picklefactory 17:46 30 May 2012

"This is the place for lively and thought-provoking debate with other forum members. There's no need to restrict discussions to computing, or computer related topics"

About a dozen of those other members thought it interesting enough to add their thoughts and contributions..... what harm there?

Didn't catch the right audience it seems.

Didn't particularly interest me either, I'll admit, but each to their own and others clearly were interested. I'm sure there are plenty of things that interest me that would bore others to tears.

bremner 17:57 30 May 2012

The forum has suffered in the last year with more pointless and inane threads and postings than in the previous nine put together. The number of new members contributing to threads is in the same time period seemingly very small. Are these threads and postings putting people off generally contributing?

Perhaps this was just one thread too many - to leave on the basis of it being locked is an overreaction. Many have left in similar circumstances in the past and they have not really been missed. Many have left and returned when they have reflected on their decision.

Aitchbee 18:15 30 May 2012

dagbladet - you put into words what I feel also ...as long as nothing nasty crops up on this forum, all people's viewpoints should be respected or ridiculed it's ok, either way, as far as I'm concerned. And if FE wants to shut down a thread...sobeit...he's in charge and is a top man. (I don't grovel.)

Forum Editor 19:28 30 May 2012

So, I locked a thread, and on the basis of that you have not only decided to leave us for 'pastures new' (whatever they may be), but you decided to make a public thing of it.

If someone upset me so terribly - and for the life of me I can't understand how something like a locked thread should loom so large in your life - I would simply say 'your loss', and disappear - I wouldn't post one of these 'goodbye, I'm off' threads explaining why, without even bothering to talk privately to the person responsible, via email.

I lock threads for a reason, I don't do so on a whim, and when I do it I post a few words of explanation. It's better than simply applying the lock and leaving you in limbo.

I'm sorry you feel so aggrieved over what I think is hardly something worth getting so worked up about, and I'm sorry you feel you want to leave us because of it, but it's your decision, you've said "I shall go" and I wish you well - thank you for your many posts over the years.

Ventad 20:14 30 May 2012

Morddwyd

I too cannot understand why your thread was locked , speakers corner I understood to be a discussion centre / a place to communicate however topical or untopical. It could be that you were hoping that ' dream reader' was available to tell you what your dream was about, and does it matter how the thread meanders this way and that as long as nobody is insulted or verbally abused to a hurtful ending where perhaps, and I am sorry to say this FE it appears that this has happened to Morddwyd by the locking of a thread which might not have been going to any conclusion BUT! Everybody was communicating and nobody was getting hurt or openly abused.

Stay with it Morddwyd where else am I going to keep up with news that yourself and others like Buteman etc bring to our notice with your threads.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How to make yourself look better on a webcam

Doraemon postage stamps? Yes please!

Users report serious problems with macOS Catalina 10.15.4

Les clés Windows pas chères fonctionnent-elles ?